Forums are back in action! ×

I reallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreallyre allyreally hate 'science' news

Because the only things you see are the results of one study, often done with a minimal sample, with complete disregard for the specifics of the study and its limitations, as well as blowing up the actual result, interpreting the results incorrectly, not giving specifics and other stuff like that. They don't even link the damn study, so we're just going to have to believe them!

I. Hate. It.

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

As to linking to the original material most can't due to the fact they study is usually in a paid/subscription based journal.

But I agree news is often hastily written by bloggers who are trying to meet content deadline and so it it almost always light on facts, just the talking points.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

I think you just need to be more selective about where you get your science news from. The daily newspaper and TV programs have terrible science reporting because most of them no longer employee actual journalists that specialize in science writing. There is a yearly anthology of the best of science writing (both scientists and science journalists) series called "The Best of American Science Writing" that I have been reading since 2007 and it continues to be top notch.

In fact the 2011 edition has a great article title "The Trouble with Scientists" by Deborah Blum about how scientists reluctance to write for the layman is hurting science that is really good. As well another article by Charles Homans titled "Hot Air" about the split between climatologists and meteorologist and specifically how climatologists lost the war of words with your local weatherman.

well, you know what they say about statistics......as for news....I have been on a self imposed news ban for about 5 years and I have never been healthier or felt better....

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!

What I hate is when a miracle drug that cures cancer or HIV is announced, but nothing ever comes of it. Basically, it's the same thing that you mentioned. It's a small study on rats and the news is released so that the scientists can, hopefully, get more funding. Nothing ever comes of it, though, because the research was faulty or the drug would be too expensive to do testing on and no big pharma companies will pay for the research, testing, and FDA approval process because they won't make money on it.

Marsupial Assassin - LVL 3

STR 10 || DEX 3 || STA 5 || CON 8 || WIS 11 || CHA 7

Fitocracy || MyFitnessPal

well, you know what they say about statistics......as for news....I have been on a self imposed news ban for about 5 years and I have never been healthier or felt better....

This for me as well. Politics too.

The old believe everything; the middle aged suspect everything: the young know everything.

~Oscar Wilde

Someone who works with health research every day, lemme jest say: I read almost no mainstream media health coverage.

And politics, Gah. Nope.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

There is a yearly anthology of the best of science writing (both scientists and science journalists) series called "The Best of American Science Writing" that I have been reading since 2007 and it continues to be top notch.

Strongly seconded. The other nice thing about the Science anthology is that it culls most of the fluff that rises and falls in the 24 hour news cycle--if it makes it into the anthology, it's worth reading.

drsloomis: level 5 human assassin

STR: 15 | DEX: 17 | CON: 12 | STA: 12 | WIS: 14 | CHA: 8

Current Challenge

I love that song. Wait... I don't think that's right in this thread. Crap.... :)

it's alright after all I laugh and I live and I have love to give but sometimes all you can do is hate...

And it goes ah lie ah lalalalie ah lalalalie ah lalalalie ah lalalalie ah lalalalie ah lalalalie! :P

Eh I don't have an issue with it. Maybe I have a good BS filter or keep my interests to low BS fields like physics and engineering.

Yeah, physics and engineering are usually one of the better fields. However, there's a lot of BS floating around with quantum physics (they still haven't built a quantum computer :P).

Mathematics is even more awesome as NOONE can publish something that isn't true (in the axiomatic, mathematical sense) and not get called out on it.

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

Yeah, physics and engineering are usually one of the better fields. However, there's a lot of BS floating around with quantum physics (they still haven't built a quantum computer :P).

Mathematics is even more awesome as NOONE can publish something that isn't true (in the axiomatic, mathematical sense) and not get called out on it.

That's because they either post a *proof* or something that they have made up as a new way to look at things and it needs to get scrutinized, not a half-assed study where the numbers have been fudged to make their point.

Marsupial Assassin - LVL 3

STR 10 || DEX 3 || STA 5 || CON 8 || WIS 11 || CHA 7

Fitocracy || MyFitnessPal

That's because they either post a *proof* or something that they have made up as a new way to look at things and it needs to get scrutinized, not a half-assed study where the numbers have been fudged to make their point.

Or an anthropological study when the writer is the only person with current physical access to the site or artifact in question.

Archived