Forums are back in action! ×

Re-losing it after a rough few years

Hello, I'm Contented Reader!

My family is mostly diabetic, mostly obese, and mostly seriously addicted to sweets.  I definitely have that in my genes - I'm very susceptible to the addictive qualities of processed foods, and have a lot of vegetable aversions that I've only partially managed to overcome.  I'd almost always rather stay in and read than exercise.  I'm very short, and so if I eat the same amount of food as other people, I gain weight.  In the ten years after college, I gained enough to put me in the 'obese' range on the BMI, and to start to interfere with my ability to live the life I wanted.

But I succeeded in losing fifty pounds and getting myself to the middle of the 'healthy' range on the BMI. I felt good, I felt proud of myself, and I liked the way I looked.  I did it with a combination of rigorous calorie counting and a lot of roller skating.

Then my wife's arthritis started getting worse.   A lot worse, until she had both knees replaced. The surgery is horrible, and the recovery is slow and painful.  I've been focusing on helping her with daily tasks, and not on taking care of myself. I've been combining little to no exercise with stress-eating for about a year and a half now, and my healthy, fit new body is... not as healthy and fit as it used to be.  

On the bright side, I've read a lot of books, and learned to play Dungeons and Dragons.

Now my wife is emerging from the other side of her ordeal.  I'm going back to work on Wednesday after a three-week leave to care for her after the second knee surgery.  She still has a long road of recovery ahead of her, and I'm going to be here to help her through it, but it's time to re-lose the weight I've gained and regain some muscle tone.

I'm planning to do it with rigorous calorie counting and a balance of weights, swimming, and bicycling.  I want to become, not just thinner, but stronger.  

I've found Nerd Fitness's articles helpful, and I'm going to use the forum as a motivational tool.  I'll join the next challenge, and take monthly progress photos of myself.  

I've done this before, and I can do it again.  I'll just need good habits, good organization, and some sort of +3 Armor of Resistance Against Nacho Cheese Doritos.

• Like 4

Welcome on board!  I hope things improve for you and your wife, it’s incredible how long it takes to recover from something like that.  You are obviously heading in the right direction though. 

59 minutes ago, Contented Reader said:

I've done this before, and I can do it again.  I'll just need good habits, good organization, and some sort of +3 Armor of Resistance Against Nacho Cheese Doritos.

Bahahahaha! :D:D:D This is awesome!

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously