Forums are back in action! ×

Ok, lets do this

Years ago I fought my way into shape (kinda literally). I went from 6'3" 165 lbs to 190 fighting trim. I could jump rope for a half hour, I did 50 pushups in the morning just to get going. I ran miles, sprints, intervals. I fought full contact for a few years in amateur bouts.

I also apparently have celiac disease, and it was getting worse and worse. After letting my fitness slip a bit I started a downward spiral of random symptoms. The issues I started having kicked my butt and made me about as sedentary as you can get.

Last year we finally nailed down the issues and I've been recovering since. A month ago I started finally feeling good enough and the weather change sparked me back into wanting to get back into shape.

I've started running again. I can already do 2 consecutive miles, I can do 3 if I have a few minutes of rest between the first 2 and the last one.

I've started body weight exercises (mainly pushups and situps) and I'll slowly work in more as my body catches up to the demand.

As for goals: I want to get my distance up. There's a 25K I want to run next year. I'm not sure how good of a long distance runner I can become but I want to do this once. I can adjust my plans after that. Before my running was only 4 or 5 miles max.

I don't have any particularly specific strength goals but I just want to get to the point where I can pop a bunch of pushups out without issue. Do pull ups and jumps etc. The martial arts and fighting training did a great job of demanding a well rounded fitness level that I enjoyed.

I do not have any plans to get back into martial arts of fighting. Unfortunately I had a great teacher I studied under for a long time and ended up moving away. There's just no one who is near that level in this area.

I found NF with the beginning Parkour post. I think I would like to get into that a bit; It seems to demand a similar level of all around fitness and looks really enjoyable as well.

Archived