Forums are back in action! ×

New but taking it seriously

I'm a 38 year old former runner who is getting back into shape and hoping to build some mass for the first time.

Up until I was 28 I was pretty skinny. I ran in school but gave it up when I got injured and ended up being a lot more interested in getting fucked up. For the next decade I did nothing related to fitness, smoked, etc. I was never a big guy 6'4 and <185, sometimes way under (145 due to 'issues'). But as soon as my ex got pregnant with our first it all changed and I got up to 235 and was still not working out at all.

Five or six years ago I joined a weight loss competition at work and everything changed. There were four of us and we were each in for $100 so we took it very seriously. I started running again and dieting and ended up having to do some fasting to get down to 179 to win (we did it by lbs and not percentages). The running continued, and my weight stabilized in the 190s. I started running races and really got into it. By the end I was running 40 miles a week and had completed two marathons. In March of 2010 was sidelined with injury and a lot of stuff happened (divorce, diagnosis, getting sober) and I lost about 18mos. My weight basically stayed in the 190s but I had a belly and was just soft all over. I started riding and taking a cycling class and I am now belly-less and between 190 and 195. I am back in 32s and hope to keep it that way.

At this point I am not looking to lose weight, and in fact I no longer care about the number. I just don't want a belly and extra chin again. I have decided to start lifting weights consistently and working with a real plan in hopes that I will be able to get bigger for once in my life.

I found this site when a friend posted Staci's story on FB, saw the challenge and decided to join. I am hoping it will help me maintain my current level of motivation.

STR - 5 DEX - 3 STA - 4 CON - 5 WIS - 2 CHA - 3

hey glad you posted your story! sounds like you've been through a lot fitness wise (and otherwise). i think the weight training stuff is definitely the right move for you. and steve kamb is also the type of guy who needs to work to gain mass, so if you look through his article archives, i'm sure you'll find some helpful info.

...we, each of us, are responsible for our own fulfillment. Nobody else can provide it for us, and to believe otherwise is to delude ourselves dangerously and to program for eventual failure every relationship we enter. - Tom Robbins

Current Challenge: Life, man.

Archived