Forums are back in action! ×

Hi, I'm RunsWithScissors

Hi!

I am brand new in these parts. Just signed up yesterday. My real name is Kerstin and I am from Florida. I have 4 grown daughters (2 of those technically belong to my 2nd husband) and a grandson. I've been somewhat active my whole life, but this is the first time I have been truly excited about fitness. I was in the marching band in high school (doesn't get nerdier than that, right?!) and played soccer with friends. Once I had the kids though, my activity level changed to running after them with my only exercise as an occasional bike ride. That's when the weight started to creep on too. I started running as my hobby/selfish mommy activity 5-6 years ago when my children were finally old enough to amuse themselves safely at home without me for an indeterminate amount of time (teenagers).  

I had only been running a couple of months when I was inspired to run a 5k. I was hooked after that! It was exhilarating!! It didn't take much longer for my ultimate goal to become qualifying for the Boston Marathon. I had no idea how to go about doing this except to run more...turns out I'm not that fast. I'm a little faster than I was 5 years or so (when I first started), but I am no where near fast enough - yet. But, as much as I was running, I really wasn't getting healthy. I definitely fell into the trap of "I ran 3 miles today so I can eat/drink whatever I want". I paid zero attention to my nutrition for the first few years and got frustrated with my lack of progress. 

This past year I have struggled with no energy - making running extremely difficult and frustrating. I've tossed around the idea of joining a gym. When I looked into my local options I felt like nothing was tailored to me, it was all cookie-cutter, copy-cat workouts and trendy diets. I knew I needed something real, something sustainable, but I didn't know where to get it. I don't even know how I found Nerd Fitness! But I am already so glad that I did!

My current big, scary goal is still to qualify for Boston. But after going through the mindset quests I have altered it a bit. ;-)

1. The first step to reaching my big scary goal is to make my health a priority, by eating quality protein and veggies at each meal. I will run 4 days per week and strength train 2 days per week. And I will enjoy my life with all the new found energy being healthy will give me.
  2. Get faster! Running consistently and eating healthy will allow me to work on my speed. I will measure my progress by running a sub30 5k, sub60 10k,  and/or a sub2 hr half-marathon by the end of May 2020.
  • Like 4