Forums are back in action! ×

Working out during lunch hour?

So I've never in my life worked out during my lunch hour (realistically it's usually only 30-40 mins).

However today my workplace is having a 2 mile race. Back when times were good the winning 4 person team would get a free trip to Japan to compete in the global company competition, but that was discontinued when the auto industry collapsed in 2008.

Anyway, we don't have shower facilities that I'm aware of at work. Do most people not shower after working out at lunch? I can't imagine sitting at my desk sweaty all afternoon. I'm OK with doing it this one day because I don't have a choice, but not regularly.

Do you just wipe down with a wet towel as best you can, put on some deodorant and cologne and call it good?

Weight loss goal (38 lbs by March 21)

16%
16%

Time elapsed (Started July 27)

9%
9%

July 26 Challenge Thread

I work out on my lunch hour and I take the full 60 minutes. I only work another 1.5 hours at work after returning from "lunch" and I do not work directly with people. So, yes, I'm one of those that don't shower (I know, you're thinking, gross!) regularly after my lunch workout. I just remedy it as much I can with body spray, dry shampoo, deodorant and throw my fan on high in my cubicle. I will shower, if I'm so sweaty to the point my hair is wet, though. Just rinse through and throw up in a ponytail. That being said, I work in a pretty casual environment and am isolated from others.

just keep on trucking...

I workout during lunch. On lifting days I don't sweat too badly, but on the days I run I tend to sweat a lot. I do have a shower in one of the bathrooms here at the building I work at but have yet to actually use it. Most days I come back to my office and cool off while eating lunch after my workouts. It's not been too bad yet, but summer is coming and I'm sure I'll be using that shower sooner rather than later.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]“Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Loseâ€

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - Albert Einstein

-------------------------

DailyBurn | Fitocracy | Twitter

I workout during lunch and just use the showers at the gym. I'm kinda lucky in that I get to mostly set my own hours, so on workout days I just stay an extra hour or so. That way I don't feel like I have to rush my workouts.

Also, my company has a lot of people that regularly go running, play soccer, basketball, etc. during lunch. When we moved to our new office and had a chance to have it built out the way we wanted, we were sure to have a shower added to one of the bathrooms. (Sometimes developers are rank enough just from typing. When you add an hour of soccer, you can see why a shower was a requirement for the new building.)

My work site has a main building (administrative functions) and a lab building (engineers). The lab building doesn't have showers, but supposedly they are adding showers in the main building.

Those are the only people whose workload really allows them to workout at lunch anyway.

I have to say I don't want to make a habit of this. I don't think I stink too terribly bad, but it's just plain uncomfortable still being hot and sticky.

Weight loss goal (38 lbs by March 21)

16%
16%

Time elapsed (Started July 27)

9%
9%

July 26 Challenge Thread

i worked out during lunch yesterday, and the gym was stifling hot and there were no showers - i didn't feel like i looked like a rock star the rest of the day, ha. despite that, some key things that help are to bring a towel, a change of underwear, maybe a nice scent you can spray on, and something cold to eat/snack on afterwards to help you cool down. doing the Sink Shower can prevent the smellies for sure. So you may feel gross, but you probably don't look/smell that gross. :)

...we, each of us, are responsible for our own fulfillment. Nobody else can provide it for us, and to believe otherwise is to delude ourselves dangerously and to program for eventual failure every relationship we enter. - Tom Robbins

Current Challenge: Life, man.

...we, each of us, are responsible for our own fulfillment. Nobody else can provide it for us, and to believe otherwise is to delude ourselves dangerously and to program for eventual failure every relationship we enter. - Tom Robbins

Current Challenge: Life, man.

Where I live, employers of a certain size have to provide showers for their workers primary to support alternative commutes such as bicycling, walking, etc. My gym is just across the street from my work. I do workout during work but never during the actual lunch hour because the gym is too crowded then. I general workout late morning or mid-afternoon and then take my lunch at my desk. I am salaried employee so my hours are a little flexible. So if I go over 60 I can always work a little longer or come in a little earlier to balance it out. Besides I am already on 24/7 on call with my Blackberry.

Personally, the only times I have ever been able to be consistent is if I workout during the workday. I definitely prefer mid-afternoon as that is my peak energy time and close to the daily theoretical testosterone peak. It's just daily appointments sometimes make that impossible. On a rare, fully booked day, I will get up early and hit the gym before work but that really is not my preference.

Archived