Forums are back in action! ×

Impulse to run during my long walks

Okay so, this doesn't happen to me very often, just a few times. But, I was curious about something strange that has happened before during my walks. I try to do a 10k walk straight everyday. No stops (and no water... Yeahhh should probably start bringing some along..) but sometimes in the middle of these walks I start to get this antsy ache almost. And not the ache of walking to much, but something I recognized as this aching impulse to run. Almost as if my body had energy pent up and needed it sprung out. I loathed the idea, bc I don't want to go on RUNS I want to go on walks to help clear my head and have a scerene less sweaty time. However, when I finally caved in and ran, it felt about as great as my impulse was telling me it would. Huge air time strides, and I felt like a Damn roadrunner. Can anybody explain what might be going on physically during these long walks that might have my brain and body aching to just spring out in a dash? 

• Like 1

What a delightful question!

Let me start off by saying I'm not a medical or psychology expert, but I do have some experience with the desire to 'run' a bit. 

A few years back, I decided that I would try to do something a little different with my life. I had the desire to move, to get up and go, and that impulse led me to a program functionally similar to Couch to 5k called "Zombies Run". (And yes, I'm serious.) Once I was able to go out and go, there came a point when it felt good to move. In fact, it felt amazing. 

Some authors and researchers propose that we were designed to run, from the structure of our feet, our cardiovascular ability to adapt to long-distance and short distance, as well as our ability to keep walking (as might be done in pursuit predation). If you're interested, you can look into the research of Christopher McDougall, who talks about this in his book "Born to Run." I wonder if his work could offer insight into why it feels good to pick up the pace a little. 

• Like 1

Gamertag: e0verlord || Alter Ego: Rehua Syraha: The Conquering Star
Half-Elf (Star)

Str: 8 || Int: 15 || Wis: 15 || Dex: 13 || Con: 14 || Chr: 18
Challenges: {|| 1 | 2 | 3 ||}