Forums are back in action! ×

Help taming a man tummy....

LOL I bet you thought this was about food! Nope, its about a man tummy...

My wonderful husband has taken it upon himself to create his own fitness program which includes short full body intervals and walking with hill intervals. He started out working out with me after he was inspired by my progress (he told me that, I ain't making it up! LOL) and then decided because there was not enough room in the rec room for him, me and christina to all workout together, he split off.

He used to be a soccer and baseball player (shortstop/third base), and he used to run about 3 miles a day but over the past few years (who am I kidding, he was a frat boy and drank too much beer and never really stopped so its been about 25 years of steady over carbing...) his tummy has gotten out of control while the rest of his body remained relatively muscular--you could call it a beer belly, or a man tummy, I like man tummy better...

He has cut back on drinking completely and has been exercising regularly and losing well (eating my primal/paleo diet!) but I noticed something today when I came in to stretch that disturbed me a bit and I wanted to ask any of you guys if this happened to you when you had a man tummy--his belly, down the middle, is tenting when he does a crunch...

As a woman, we all know after pregnancy that distasis recti separation is possible and we know to suck in our guts and simply do very simply exercises to repair it and usually it works. I don't want to make a big deal about this because he has been doing so well, but are there any exercises he can do to stop this tenting or how to approach a crunch? I certainly dont want to "castrate" him by saying--do the pregnancy exercises...you can understand that I am sure...

So, any ab suggestions for a man recovering from big tummy would be wonderful! THANKS GUYS!!!

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!

Hi,

When I first started out with abdominal exercises (crunch has never been one of them) I had a bit of a bulge down the middle of my stomach during certain exercises (leg raises were a main one) It didn't strike me as anything to worry about as on feeling it and giving it a push during a leg raise it seemed like muscle. I didn't think of it again until I read your post.

I have searched a little and managed to find This/ article. It seems if the tenting is uniform down the middle of his stomach it is just muscles strengthening, if it is in an isolated spot it could be a hernia.

If anyone knows a little more about this i would love to find out as well.

Fitocracy - Intro - Facebook

[table=width: 100, align: center]

STR

DEX

STA

CON

WIS

CHA

[/table]

thanks Egg and Lettuce! That is a cool article and I will share it with my hubby...

anyone else? Tons of guys on here, how did you get your tummy's flat? anyone? Bueller????

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!

Could try mixing up the abdominal exercises... instead of just crunches throw in some windmills, Russian twists (both weighted) leg raise, leg thrust etc and remember it doesn't have to be an isolated ab exercise to work on the stomach, many compound exercises will hit the area as well.

Fitocracy - Intro - Facebook

[table=width: 100, align: center]

STR

DEX

STA

CON

WIS

CHA

[/table]

If he's losing weight, he can just keep it up and it'll work itself out.. not sure I see how this requires special exercises.

And if he's not losing weight (but making fitness gains).. who cares? Adult men have some belly fat, typically.

FLATSNAP

Troll Warrior - Squad A

STR: 5 DEX: 1 STA: 2 CON: 3 WIS: 2 CHA: 2

"With ignorance and arrogance, success is assured!"

Current Challenge

Flat tummies come from:

1. A reduction in body-fat through proper nutrition

2. Building a strong core with squats, deads, pull-ups, push-ups, and core specific work like planks.

Number 1 will be the most crucial.

Absolutely agree with this, special ab exercises are not needed to reduce the tummy.

Beer guts are hard to get rid of, they only shed off with time. As I'm still working on shrinking mine, I can't offer great advice, but: Crunches will hit the upper abs, leg raises will hit the lower abs and hip flexors...

Or you know, he could just squat more. That seems to work the best for me. :D

You ever see those guys who look like they totally used to be in shape?
I'm working to get back to that...

Archived