Forums are back in action! ×

Defeated the Red Vines!

Minke

I work in a toxicology lab with a skeleton crew on Saturdays and usually people bring in some kind of treat or something because no one likes to work on Saturdays and it makes us feel better to have some kind of not-good-for-you food. Well, using food in that way is no longer acceptable for me because I am doing the right thing for myself, but it's still a challenge to to be still new at this and temptation is EVERYWHERE. But you all know that just as well. This past Saturday it was a HUGE bag of Red Vines. Okay, maybe it wasn't exactly the size of a shoe box as I saw it, but more like the jumbo bag in the stores. Which is still pretty huge.

For the past week I had been focusing on cutting out processed sugar from my diet and had been pretty successful up until the point that I was staring face to face with a giant bag of licorice that begged me to crawl inside it like it was a giant sleeping bag and eat my way into a food coma. Panic started to creep into me and I knew I had to do something. Scanning my arsenal of mental tricks for avoiding the sweets I looked around the room for any potential tools. And then I saw it. A new feeling of power, of being in control, seized me and I grabbed a thin square of brown industrial paper towel from the dispenser on the wall and placed it squarely over the package of Red Vines.

There. Out of sight, out of mind. Victory was mine. I mentally etched the words 'I am not food' onto the paper towel and turned around and walked out of the room and into the lab feeling like I had just climbed Everest, won the Boston Marathon, swum the Channel, and managed to elute a new metabolite from my HPLC analysis machines all in one.

I felt awesome.

Nice. I love red vines to no end. By far my favorite candy. I don know if I'd have been able to walk away without having 'just one' lol.

Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda"Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it..." -Empire of The SunJohn 15:13 

Archived