Forums are back in action! ×

Jessebel Enters the Dojo

I am preparing for the marathon that is sesshin at Chozen-Ji monestary in Honolulu. The monestary was founded by two fellows who felt the training at monestaries in Japan had gotten soft and moved away from experiencing zen through the body. Training at Chozen-Ji takes the form of doing.  They offer classes in Kendo, Aikido, Karate, archery, ceramics, calligraphy, tea ceremony, flower arranging, okyo, and more. There is very little didactic study. You train hard and experience what you need to know.

From the website, on sesshin:

"The schedule at Chozen-ji’s sesshin is very rigorous and not suitable for beginners. 

Wake up is at 4:30AM and bedtime at midnight. The schedule includes at least eight hours of meditation a day, martial and fine arts, and physical work on the Chozen-ji grounds."

Prior to the COVID lockdown, I was spending nearly 30 hours a week training. I have gotten a bit depressed and getting back to a rigorous training schedule has been challenging as a result.

One of my teachers brought my relative lack of preparedness and committment to my attention this evening following okyo after mentioning challenges I experienced sitting seiza. Something challenging is coming, and I need to prepare seriously.

And so I return to these forums to track my progress. I will be making big changes relatively quickly to prepare for this event at the beginning of July. I understand why this is not typically advisable, but it is what I need to do to prepare.

Sesshin is just one step in a larger goal to become a priest of Chozen-Ji and switching careers to become a hospice chaplain. I need to fundamentally change how I live my life to be successful in these pursuits. Wish me luck!

• Like 2

Here is my plan of action. Going full blown starting tomorrow.

Dojo: 
-Full day Monday (5:30am-9pm. Includes 45 min and 90 min zazen, 45 min okyo, and lots and lots of work on the grounds)
-Morning zazen (5:30am, 45 min. Everyday.)
-Okyo (3 days/week)
-Evening Zazen (90 minutes at least 3 days a week. 2 days of Okyo include 90 min of zazen first)
- Add additional 4-6 hour day at monestary if all is going well

Dojo at home:
-Morning okyo practice (as much kneeling practice as chanting practice)
-Hojo walk/sword cuts with heavy bokken
-Finish a task before moving on to the next (dishes and other domestics, especially)
-Zazen on evenings I'm not at the dojo (varying lengths)

Diet:
Eat what my wife, Michelle, eats (she is generally very healthy. May add some meat protein a few times a week as she has recently switched to a vegan diet.)

No fast food (which is my primary source of food at this point and the main reason for my larger body, I think. If I follow the first guideline, this is automatic as Michelle has eaten fast food twice in her entire life.)

Physical activity:
-Continue daily run (Zombies! Run!)
-Walk dogs up steep neighborhood hill 2x daily
-Strenous activity 3x weekly (more challenging hike, rock climbing, heavy lifting, etc. >90 minutes)
-Resume morning/evening stretching routine (taekwondo style)

Misc:
-Discontinue nicotine habit
-Sleep by 10pm
-Nightly schedule review and quick journal
-Complete all related work tasks to include documentation before moving to next client

Easy enough.

• Like 2

Things went really well until they didn't anymore. 

Sesshin was too much for my body to handle. I had a series of seizures that had left me in quite the state until recently. Fortunately, I am working and ready to try again. 

Before I return to the dojo proper, I am going to prepare at home through the development of discipline and intention. 

More to come.