Forums are back in action! ×

hyperlordosis/swayback

sandymac

Question for those of you also facing this condition (where both your stomach and butt protrude due to spinal misalignment at the lower back)...

I've read many recommendations for posture improvement and specific exercises, corrections, stretches, and things to avoid for this spinal form:

(hip flexor stretch, back foam rolling, leg curls to strengthen hams, ab workouts to strengthen core, yoga poses, etc. to name a few)

And now I'm just wondering if anyone here has any advice to weigh in with - have any of you experienced significant gains in this area/problem? I would really like to correct my posture as much as possible, so beyond any of the things I've already read (though I am expecting to get mostly repeats here) I'm just looking for as many ideas as possible. Fire away!

I had an issue with this. It wasn't as bad a some I've seen, but it caused a general, constant, low level back ache. For years I tries stretching and ab work without success. The hip flexor stretch seems like it would be helpful, but I don't think I ever did it effectively.

What finally helped was Shovelglove and Kettlebells. They both really work the posterior chain. As my back got stronger and meatier it straightened out and the back ache went away. When I went to the doctor last it seems I grew 3/4" - I finally hit 6'!

Since this is NerdFitness, that translates to, "Do moar deadlifts."

YMMV

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

Wow, that would be a serious bonus to doing deadlifts and kettlebells. I've been swaybacked as long as I can remember and I hate it.

[table=width: 600]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 3 Elf Warrior

STR 9.5|DEX 6|STA 9|CON 7|WIS 8.5|CHA 2

Challenge thread

Twitter

"There is never an absolute answer to everything, except of course that you have to do your squats." - Mark Rippetoe

[/table]

Archived