Forums are back in action! ×

Hello Everyone!

Hey guys,

A little bit about me... I've been overweight basically all my life, but didn't really care and didn't really do anything to change that. When I was away from home for college I tipped the scales at my highest weight of 295 lbs, but I just didn't care. But a few years ago I tried Atkins and South Beach and Weight Watchers to try and lose weight, and while I had the most success on WW, looking back I knew that I really didn't want to lose weight. Fast forward to last July and I restarted Weight Watchers at a weight of about 285 lbs, and lost about 10 lbs in 2-3 months, but then I dropped off after that. Luckily the past two times I lost weight, I kept it off as I work in retail and thus I'm on my feet all day.

Then in January I read Ben Does Life, which is a blog about a guy who lost over 100 lbs. Not sure what in that blog did it, but it really inspired me to lose MORE weight, and to lose it for good. Couple that with moving out of my parents' house and into an apartment with my sister (who eats very healthy and is trying to be vegetarian), and I dramatically changed the way I eat.

Since January I've lost about 25 lbs (actually just hit that mark this morning!), and I know now that losing this weight for good IS doable. I've been following Weight Watchers this whole time to lose the weight. Say what you will about it, but it's worked for me from the start, and I like it. And I've been slowly increasing my exercise over the past few months. Today I started week 1 of the basic program of You Are Your Own Gym (YAYOG), and I loved it (even with the unexpected soreness).

I really love this website as I am definitely a nerd at heart and I like how all of these articles are easy to relate to.

So I guess that's that!

Congrats on your progress so far! And welcome!! Your story sound eerily similar to my own. My biggest weigh in was 278, so we are pretty close. I did WW way back when. I gather it has gotten fancier than when I did it (I tried it when I was in high school). But it's still a good program, and if it works for you that's what is important. Since I'm pretty familiar with the exact journey you're on, feel free to reach out for help any time, either over a PM or in the boards. There are plenty of people here that will love to help you out.

Facebook | Twitter | Blog |

"What we face may look insurmountable. But I learned something from all those years of training and competing. I learned something from all those sets and reps when I didn't think I could lift another ounce of weight. What I learned is that we are always stronger than we know." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Toby: It's going to be hard.
Josh: Then we'll do what's hard.
- The West Wing

"A good lawyer sees trouble coming from around the corner."
-Professor Tom Ross

Hi, Welcome!

I have no beef with Weight Watchers, or any other diet plan. Whatever gets a person eating healthy is a good thing :)

I saw the Ben Does LIfe youtube video, and it inspired me, too. He is amazing!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

“If we all did the things we are capable of, we would astound ourselves.â€

-Thomas Edison

"I'm only at about 35-40%, and I'm surprised as eff."

-unicornassssin

Fitocracy!

[thread=16121]My Challenge Thread[/thread]

Congrats on taking charge of your life! I think I know what you mean when you say you didn't want to lose the weight. I've spent years of my life just drifting in the current. It wasn't that I wanted to be fat, in fact I hated it. The problem was just that I was essentially afraid to live my life. I think the weight helped me keep people at arm's length, and so I didn't have to try as hard.

I've done WW, and I think it's a great program. If that is what works for you, then keep on chugging.

"Get busy living or get busy dying. That's goddamn right." - Red"I'm not losing weight, I'm evicting fat." -me

Welcome! WW can be a really great program - not just for weight loss, but also for healthy eating. My problem with it was that I kept ignoring the "good health guidelines," and having more crap food than good food. But anyway, welcome -- we are glad you're here.

LRB, Lifelong Rebel Badass  ||  June 3 challenge thread

"What I lack in ability, I make up in stubbornness" -me

"Someone busier than you is working out right now" -my mom

Archived