Forums are back in action! ×

Becoming a Guru.

Grosby

Yo,

I'm kind of in need of advice. Or maybe I just need to get my thoughts down and I can see if I need advice or just somewhere to offload.

I'm Nikki. In September last year I decided to change my life. To put me first. I went from being a dumpy, ice cream loving couch potato to now being a fit, running, ice cream loving couch potato, less dumpy than I was.

On facebook/twitter I don't post a whole lot about myself as I believe it sets me up to failure. Sometimes I'll write a funny quip about the gym, or full hip thrust at an awesome running time.. I am keen on the ol' motivational quote, but I haven't really put myself out there that much about it all.. or I don't think I have (unlike friends who post daily about the exercises they've done and what they're going to do tomorrow/what they did yesterday and how much weight they've lost that day etc).

I've also become a 'guru' of sorts. Not to talk myself up, but that's the only way I can think to describe it. It's a bit unexpected.. I have people asking me for advice on how to lose weight, how hard to run, when to push themselves.. a friend messages me with her weight and a sad face so I feel the need to "coach" her.

Does this happen to other humber worker-outter-ers? How can you/do you/should you handle it? On one side I am deeply flattered, I -must- be doing something awesome if I'm inspiring others to the point that they're seeking me out to ask advice. On another I feel a sense of immense pressure, if I fail will they fail?, and, on the 3rd side (it's a triangular issue, clearly) I feel very obliged to give them great advice, which I also feel pressure about - what if it's the wrong advice?

So, I those are my thoughts, as rambly as they are. I still don't know what I'm seeking.

Cheers for reading - gurus of mine. :D

"You know, Everything I learned (which isn't much), I picked up from this awesome blog/forum called Nerd Fitness. Why don't you sign up, and we can hang out together there? It's a really great community and there are some very smart folks there."

That takes the guru pressure off you, while still letting you be supportive.

Hobbit Ranger
Current Challenge thread

Dúnedain Team Thread

Check out my Musings on Fandom, Life, and the connections between the two at Fandom Lenses
LEVEL: 2 | STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 4 | WIS 9 (+5 from Year of Our WTF) | CHA 5 (+3 from Year of Our WTF)
Tu, was du willst (Do What You Wish)
The Neverending Story, Michael Ende

My 2013 Challenge #1 is dedicated to Melissa Montag, 1975-2012. I Love you AnissaSis! :-)

Taking on a 'mentor' is a pretty big responsibility in any scenario. There is always the risk of their failure, and the effect that would have on you. The upside is the sense of satisfaction you would derive from seeing them succeed.

It's a gamble, but if done well it pays off in spades.

My $0.02

IDDQD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Current Challenge

Race: MALIETOA

Class: WARRIOR

STR: 4 | DEX: 1 | STA: 1 | CON: 3 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 4

In these situations you can say "Hey this is what worked for me, if you want to try it out I can help you along" etc etc....

Point your friends toward the resources you used to change your life and it will take the pressure off.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

I agree with the "this is what has worked for me" approach, then be the world's greatest cheerleader...it's much more fun than coach.

My husband is actually my trainer/guru, but he puts my success/failure squarely on my shoulders. He pushes me in workouts, watches my form and makes sure I'm safe, but he doesn't ask about my diet, weight or measurements. if I volunteer information, good or bad, he offers congratulations, encouragement or advice. I'm actually the nutrition guru of the two of us, so I guess we balance each other out. :D

My mom started working out about six weeks ago, and my husband designed her program. Her success is in her hands...we just offer advice and loving support.

You should also bear in mind that many people are looking for that surefire way to get fit 'once and for all', but fitness is a lifelong journey, not a destination to be reached. They may get frustrated at that concept.

The old believe everything; the middle aged suspect everything: the young know everything.

~Oscar Wilde

It's something I feel slices both ways. It's really great to see someone accomplish something but it's horrible when they get frustrated with you when you're just trying to explain something. My sister wants to firm up and I was trying to show her how to do a proper squat and she just wouldn't listen and she just ended up walking away from me. But the same day when she got through something she couldn't before she hugged me and told me how I awesome I was. You just gotta be prepared for the good and the bad.

"You know, Everything I learned (which isn't much), I picked up from this awesome blog/forum called Nerd Fitness. Why don't you sign up, and we can hang out together there? It's a really great community and there are some very smart folks there."

Excellent advice.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

“If we all did the things we are capable of, we would astound ourselves.â€

-Thomas Edison

"I'm only at about 35-40%, and I'm surprised as eff."

-unicornassssin

Fitocracy!

[thread=16121]My Challenge Thread[/thread]

Aah good advice, I generally try to show them another way - like my friend asking about what the best distance to run as a beginner I pointed him to the couch-5k program. I hadn't actually thought of pointing anyone to NerdFitness, no idea why (maybe a bit of mine! all mine!) but I will. I often link Spezzy's story (which was what brought me here) when I talk about lifting heavy things and putting them back down.

Thanks for all the support I've received on here, by the way - you're all my gurus. :D

Archived