Forums are back in action! ×

Working out in little spurts, or all at once?

Torilynne

So, I'm finding that I have some time at work that I could theoretically take a minute every half hour or so to do some working out. Just like, y'know, a quick set of squats at my cubicle or something. So my question is, is there a difference between doing an exercise every half hour, adding up to a full workout, or do you get better results if you do the workout all at the same time in a 45 minute period or something?

Yes there is a difference, but without going into detail, both are very good for you.

1. Interval work outs, even if it is doing something every half hour is an excellent way to keep yourself moving throughout the day. This is especially good if you have a desk job, as it gets you up frequently, and helps keep you loose throughout the day. I would say be careful, but make them intense bursts.

2. Doing a full workout all at the same time is good too, as it gets your heart pumping more, and you get the benefit of a longer workout.

I fully suggest you do both, maybe not in the same day...but then again, if you don't overdo them, it won't hurt. Break it up, one day do something every half hour, another day get in that full 45 mins.

^^^ That's good advice.

I think the best workout is the one that you'll actually do, and something is better than nothing. I know I am very guilty of the whole "Well, I don't have time to put in three hours at the gym, so I'll do nothing instead."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

“If we all did the things we are capable of, we would astound ourselves.â€

-Thomas Edison

"I'm only at about 35-40%, and I'm surprised as eff."

-unicornassssin

Fitocracy!

[thread=16121]My Challenge Thread[/thread]

Actually, I like one workout better. If you're looking for general strength gain, you're going to have to go heavy. This takes some time to recover from, so you're better off working everything at once so your body can heal up in like 48 hours from your 1 hour of working out. If you were to do sets throughout the day, you'd stress your body, then it'd go into repair mode only for you to interrupt that by stressing your body again. For endurance, one workout is obviously better.

Now that isn't to say a few sets spread over multiple hours doesn't have a use. It certainly does to learn good technique, to get more familiar with the movement. You're never even working near your max, though. The problem with this is that it mostly works the skill you're performing. If you do this with pullups, you're going to get better at pullups, but not at rows. You can also use a few sets over multiple hours to keep active, as mentioned above.

^^^ That's good advice.

I think the best workout is the one that you'll actually do, and something is better than nothing. I know I am very guilty of the whole "Well, I don't have time to put in three hours at the gym, so I'll do nothing instead."

Why would you ever spend three hours at the gym? O.o

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

Actually, I like one workout better. If you're looking for general strength gain, you're going to have to go heavy....

Torilynne, The above quote from GR is absolutely true, and you need to take that into account based on what you really want to accomplish. But being a desk person myself for many years, moving frequently throughout the day is MUCH better than one workout at lunch...at least for me. I save my 'all at once' workouts for after work, so I won't get disturbed and can focus. Everyone is different, so find what works best for you, experiment, have fun and just go for it.

Why would you ever spend three hours at the gym? O.o

Because I like to :)

I do some cardio, some yoga, and some weights. It's my idea of a good time. Ha.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

“If we all did the things we are capable of, we would astound ourselves.â€

-Thomas Edison

"I'm only at about 35-40%, and I'm surprised as eff."

-unicornassssin

Fitocracy!

[thread=16121]My Challenge Thread[/thread]

^^^ That's good advice.

^^^^^

THAT'S good advice. Ding ding ding!

You will get more cardio benefit by doing a single session (and you'll probably be able to work out with more intensity, which might give you more strength benefit if that's what you're shooting for) but the work out you do regularly is the one you get the most out of.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Orc Ranger

Str: 7, Dex: 2, Sta: 7, Con 4, Wis: 1, Cha: 3

Archived