Forums are back in action! ×

Run For Your Lives

Did anyone run the Boston one over the weekend? Can you give us the low down and let us know how it went?

Are you participating in a future RFYL? Post it here and find fellow NF'ers participating and a possible training buddy.

I'm doing St Louis on 8/18

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]The Horror Geek Half Dwarf Adventurer!

My Challenge Thread is here.

I have zombies to outrun! Failure is not an option!

Why, yes, yes we did : post about it

It went amazingly, wasn't really what I was expecting though. I trained for a straight 5k run, it was nothing like that. You're jogging from here to there and sprinting when you have a zombie chasing you... but other than that, there's a lot of walking. About half of our run was in the woods, where the mud was abundant, so if I could stress anything it would be to work on plyometrics and other lower body stabilizing routines. The main complaint afterwards from the most of us, me particularly, was that my ankles and outer calves were killing me.

Also, think about wearing cleates. They were a huge benefit for Tin Man and myself. And find a good meat tank, aka someone to hide behind. Most people on the track with you will be willing to run interference if you still have flags and they don't. And don't trust anything written along the walls or on signs... zombies lie, a lot.

I will totally do this next year. It was an amazing time!

You ever see those guys who look like they totally used to be in shape?
I'm working to get back to that...

Ahhh! Sounds like fun! I'm so excited. Thanks for the tips! I don't know if I could handle cleats. I'm a Vibram runner, though. Think that would be good enough? Though I also have the advantage of doing this St Louis in August, which is usually around the time people start doing rain dances because it's so dry. So I might luck out there.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]The Horror Geek Half Dwarf Adventurer!

My Challenge Thread is here.

I have zombies to outrun! Failure is not an option!

I'm signed up to BE a zombie for the first three hours of the Denver one, then I get my turn at noon muhaha!

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

AAH! Me too me too me too! We'll meet up and use my husband as a blocker.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

The main complaint afterwards from the most of us, me particularly, was that my ankles and outer calves were killing me.

OH GOD THE OUTER CALVES. Half marathon training does not work the change-of-direction muscles. Sprinting and spinning from zombies certainly does.

Also, absolutely wear cleats if you don't think they'll give you blisters

FTFY

And here's a video of the Boston race from someone else who ran it, to get you a bit of an idea.

Last bit of advice, when you pass zombies always look over your shoulder, sometimes they give chase!

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

I'd agree with Seth in everything. The second mile was very muddy, and prepare/be okay with being electrocuted...there were two spots for this. I myself sprained an ankle but ran later in the day. I would prescribe to anyone to run early in the day before the path gets torn up, and wear definitely junky stuff. Other than that, have fun, do your best, and stay in groups...Rule #17...Don't be a hero

Archived