Forums are back in action! ×

Lost a bunch of weight, now I want to get strong and fast.

Greetings all. I stumbled upon this site via reddit, seems like a great community. Here's my backstory:

I've always been a big guy, most of my family is. I have three brothers, we're all over 6 feet tall and have all struggled with weight issues. I'm 6'4" and at my heaviest was over 350 pounds, I'm not sure how heavy I got because my scale threw an error message once I eclipsed 350. That wasn't a fun moment, as you can imagine. I'd tinkered with diets before, jogged a few days for 10 minutes, and other random half tries, but something finally clicked and I began watching what I ate for good.

Once I had gotten down to 250 I let myself slide a little, figured that's where I'd stay, but when I crept back up to 260 in December I was finished messing around and decided to rededicate myself, as I'd just gotten married and found out that I had a kid (I now know it's a boy) on the way. I started actually counting calories (thank you, myfitnesspal) and doing cardio. My cardio included the couch to 5k program (which I finished) and joining one of those huge gyms with 95% machines.

I'm now down to 222 and ready to get fit. I still have lots of body fat to lose but I need to start packing on some muscle and being awesome. So I'm reading starting strength and quit that crappy gym, and joined one that's basically a basement with bunch of benches, racks and iron. I think they have one treadmill in the corner. I begin starting strength tomorrow, and have a bunch of 5ks lined up for the summer. I'm ready to step this whole thing up a notch and become a physical bad ass. I look forward to sharing my progress with you guys, and rooting you all along on your own journeys.

Nerd power!

tl;dr: Was fat, lost some weight, dicked around, lost more weight, ready to lift heavy and be a bad ass

Welcome! You've made tremendous progress on your own already; I can't wait to see how far you'll go with the encouragement and support of this amazing community!

LRB, Lifelong Rebel Badass  ||  June 3 challenge thread

"What I lack in ability, I make up in stubbornness" -me

"Someone busier than you is working out right now" -my mom

Archived