Forums are back in action! ×

Today's the Day!!!

Howdy there, gang!

My name's Jared, but feel free to call me Schu or JRok if those roll off your tongue better.

I've got 21 years with my feet on the ground and if I have anything to say about it, another 109 or so left.

I'm just finishing up classes at Michigan State University for a Bachelor of Arts in Comparative Cultures and Politics, and in the meantime, I'm back in at my parents' place. Which is great, because they have a treadmill and more space for me to rock some exercising. (I was an RA on campus last year, so my entire life was crammed into a 10x10 box also known as a dorm.)

I've always been a chunky kid, usually sitting between 210 and 220, but I'm pushing heavier now and not really okay with that.

Thankfully, I'm a very detailed and task-oriented person, and I'm just about as stubborn as they come. So as soon as I moved home, I went shopping, bought only the good stuff (paleo diet menu) and started cold-turkey giving up my processed foods and sweets. I've also been running 20 minutes a day since Sunday when I moved back, and as soon as I unpack my free weights from the back of my car, I'll be able to start doing more strength training, too.

Ideally, I'd like to get down below 200 and start lookin' reeeaal goooood. So that's the plan.

My motivation comes mainly from the fact that I've never been in shape, and I'm real hungry to learn what that feels like. I'm also shooting to compete well in my old fraternity's charity 5K in the fall and maybe run a half-marathon or ride in a cycling race soon. I'm learning that I really like running, and I've always loved biking. Just not a huge fan of swimming. ;)

I'm glad to be a part of a community that's intentionally working together to support each other and reach goals together! One thing I've definitely learned anything from the Living Intentionally For Excellence (LIFE) program is that you can't put a price on a community of like-minded individuals working towards similar goals.

I aim to get into shape, become a healthy individual, and an example for those around me of what's possible when someone puts their mind on something, focuses intentionally, and refuses to take no for an answer.

In the words of Mel Fisher, "Today's the day!!!"

Much love,

JRok

Wow, sounds like you are making great changes in your life. Also, congrats on graduating. What next there, are you doing more school or job hunting?

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Archived