Forums are back in action! ×

Pray for peace, but prepare for zombie/oil/ice age apocalypse!

Hello :)

I'm a 26 year old male,a student of history and sociology.

I'm 180 cm (6ft) tall, and weight ~76 kg (168 lbs).

I have trained judo and rowing as a kid, and went to a pilates class for a year, 3-4 years ago. I'm generally an active person (I bike to college and back - at least 11km daily, with occasional erratic 25-35km ride, that seem to happen more and more), and I have a depressingly large list of very time consuming interests that I don't consume because I spend most of my time studying (not very efficiently), with my girlfriend, and vegetating in front of the computer.

My interests would be:

Tai chi (chen) - that I practiced very intensely for half a year, but then I couldn't keep up with work, study and social obligations any more. I'm resigned to wait with it for 6+ more months - until I graduate.

- the "action" part of Live Action Roleplaying Games, for which I meet with a few friends once every/every other week. They don't transfer an ounce of skill for real swordplay, but man that's the most fun you can have in a workout! 90 minutes pass in a blink, and you find yourself winded, your complete body aching and you feel every muscle in you days later.

Trekking/hiking, orientation and trail running are great battery charges for me, and I try to hike once a week. I need just under an hour for 4.7 km uphill (700 meters of height difference) but the track record is 33 minutes (lunatics run all the way up), so there's still room for improvement. I've recently started to go barefoot hiking, at a much slower pace.

Camping I do mostly as a part of a few three day LARPs that I attend each year.

Self sustainability in general is of great interest to me, so I accumulate a lot of theoretical knowledge.

spear
is huge fun, I've made a few atlatls (throwers) and spears, but I haven't used them for more than a year. That's about to change in a month or so, because I've found a safe spot to practice in good company at least once a month. :)

I have formal musical education in clarinet, and recently I've played it for the first time after 12 years. (Yet another skill that takes quite some time to master and maintain, even though the clarinet can be considered an "easy" instrument to play.)

For about two years now I've been lurking on three Blacksmithing forums, doing my best impersonation of a sponge and soaking up all that I could. I've been slowly gathering what I need to start with it, and as soon as I solve the problem of air intake with no electrical power nearby (make my own forge bellows), I'll be able to give it a go, finally.

And at last, poking around at the NF, it came to me that parkour/free running could really be usefull for trail running.

Thanks NF, one more skill/interest is all that I needed now!

I'm quite satisfied with my endurance ATM, but I'd like my strength to catch up with it - I don't want to lose weight, I want to build some muscle. Losing some body fat in the process would not be objectionable.

I don't eat snacks, but my diet is limited to a menu in student's canteen (overcooked greens, overcooked pasta, fried meat and lots of oil), but I try to choose the healthiest option that I can in a day, and I eat a lot of fresh fruit and vegetables.

----------------------

Ok, that'd be (a lengthy) introduction.

The actual purpose of this post is to get some feedback - did I miss something in my imaginary workout plan:

This for warm-up

and

10 min on stationary bicicle activating crisscross and side abs

2-3X:

es

20 squats

(per side)

30 seconds of "

"

(per side)

(per side)

20 second reverse plank

(per leg)

10 reverse crunches

10 push ups

(per side)

(per side)

(per leg)

15 second plank

10 dumbbell rows (per arm)

(per side)

30 second

(per leg)

I can not do this ATM, so I'll stick to (a bit modified) basic and 20 minute hotel workout from the free section for a few weeks.

I don't (and can't) have a pull up bar, nor a table that'd survive inverted rows.

When it gets too easy to do 3 repetitions of this routine I can add some weights and change my posture in pilates exercises to make them more challenging.

STR: 2 / DEX: 2 / STA: 3 / CON: 2 / WIS: 3 / CHA: 3

PanHEMAphiliac.

Welcome! And wow, the spear throwing looks so fun! I started knife throwing last year and really want my own set now :)

I'm ultra-basic on my workout knowledge myself so I'll let someone else chime in on that portion, but it sounds like with your overall fitness level and interests you're off to a great start!

Thanks. Atlatls are truly easy to make, if you have materials (long dovel rods or bamboo stalks) available then darts are dead simple too. They are also easy to use, and I find them much more intuitive then bow shooting.

Would it be better if I reposted the fitness part in some other sub-forum?

Base camp or the Ranger's fort perhaps?

STR: 2 / DEX: 2 / STA: 3 / CON: 2 / WIS: 3 / CHA: 3

PanHEMAphiliac.

Oh, being more intuitive makes a lot of sense- I did archery when I was young, but throwing last year was a lot more fun. Thanks for giving me something new to explore!

You'll probably get more feedback in either section. It seems like the views in intro threads is pretty slow on the weekends :)

Archived