Forums are back in action! ×

First ever 10k

martinb

So pleased with myself right now! Three weeks ago, I started running, with the goal of completing a 10k race on 15th July. This gave me 12 weeks to get up to race distance and initially I had set myself a goal of finishing the race in under 55 minutes.

My training has been going much better than expected. This evening I finished a 10k for the first time ever.

Even better, I finished it in under an hour (59:34, to be precise). Better still, the first 5k of the run was my quickest yet in a little under 29 minutes.

Now that I've cracked the distance, I'm looking forward to spending the next nine weeks working on my speed. A sub-50 minute race might be on the cards now!

awesome man. good luck!!

personally, i break down my running in three work outs: distance, speed, and skills. distance is simple; i just go as far as you can, increasing only 10% each run. for speed i either chose a short distance (2-3 miles) and power through as fast as possible, or i do a HIIT run where i sprint 90% intensity for a fixed amount of time, and then jog for a fixed amount of time. there is a HIIT run app for your phone that can be helpful.

skills day can be the hardest to follow, because you usually need to go to a field or somewhere where you can practice. if you've ever played any field sports, some of the exercises might be familiar. check this out to get started: http://artofmanliness.com/2009/02/10/5-conditioning-drills/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Urban Scout

STR - 6 DEX - 6 STA - 11 CON - 2 WIS - 4 CHA - 6

My Epic Quest: http://tinyurl.com/7ey2ylw

Most Recent Mission: Visit Chichen Itza (Completed 11/18/12)

I am currently: Level 3 (0% to Level 4)

Woot woot woot! What a great weekend you had!

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

So pleased with myself right now! Three weeks ago, I started running, with the goal of completing a 10k race on 15th July. This gave me 12 weeks to get up to race distance and initially I had set myself a goal of finishing the race in under 55 minutes.

My training has been going much better than expected. This evening I finished a 10k for the first time ever.

Even better, I finished it in under an hour (59:34, to be precise). Better still, the first 5k of the run was my quickest yet in a little under 29 minutes.

Now that I've cracked the distance, I'm looking forward to spending the next nine weeks working on my speed. A sub-50 minute race might be on the cards now!

Love it. I haven't signed up for a race yet, but I'm working on running 10K again for the first time since high school. Ran 5 miles twice since the May challenge began and was stunned that I was able to do it. The longest distance I'd gotten to, sustained, previously since I started running again a couple of years ago was 4 miles.

Woot!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Tex

Dwarf Ranger

STR 4 // DEX 1 // STA 4 // CON 3 // WIS 5.5 // CHA 2

Current Challenge Log

MyFitnessPal

Fitocracy

"I was born into a generation of ninnies. It has made me tired."

-Steve Albini

Archived