Forums are back in action! ×

Has anyone seen this new show Girls?

DoogieT

I watched a few episodes tonight and it made my skin crawl. I thought all the depictions of masculinity were terrible stereotypes: the men were all musclebound insensitive jerks, pathetic losers or completely overbearing.

It really bothers me because I want to be a muscular gentleman and lose the pathetic side of myself...ugh. Too much information?

Shoryuken!

I haven't seen it but kinda want to check it out now just to be pissed haha

I'm finding lately that there are very few shows/movies that are actually entertaining to me without giving me pause, and even fewer that inspire me to be a better person. The latter is what I need most of in my life right now, so buh-bye lots of things I wasted lots of time on last year :)

I think it's good, though, that you can identify the things that bother you about the show-- it helps define who you want to be and who you *don't* want to be, yeah?

Damn, you got me excited that they had turned that magnum opus Showgirls into a T.V. show.

The previews for that looked terrible. But let's be fair, the only good shows on T.V. right now are produced by the premium cable channels. Network T.V. almost always cancels anything good in one season.

Let me just start by saying that this thread is awesome.

Moving on, masculinity is my main area of work. So I'm always stoked when people talk about it. I haven't seen this show, but if it has horrible representations of masculinity, I may have to check it out.

Either way, props to you for calling out crappy media portrayals of men and recognizing where masculinity isn't be represented well.

Especially since being in shape and lookin' good is such a hegemonic masculine sort of activity (at least on the tough guy muscley side of things), I'd be super interested to hear what people here think masculinity ought to be...from the guys and the gals and everybody in between.

Cowboy - Human Adventurer
STR: 3 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 2 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

Damn, you got me excited that they had turned that magnum opus Showgirls into a T.V. show.

The previews for that looked terrible. But let's be fair, the only good shows on T.V. right now are produced by the premium cable channels. Network T.V. almost always cancels anything good in one season.

That's usually the truth. I'm surprised that Fringe is still around, but it tells you something about the fans of the show if it's been able to survive several seasons (including one in the Friday night death slot).

Archived