Forums are back in action! ×

Reporting in: Red 5 standing by

Hey friends, what's happening? Currently, I feel like I'm in an AA meeting - you know the part where you say your name followed by "I'm an alcoholic." Well, my name is Alex, and I'm not an alcoholic (though I enjoy alcohol quite a bit!), but I do have a problem. As you may suspect from my new membership on this forum, my problem is with my body. Primarily the problem is weight (I currently tip the scales at 260lbs), but deeper than that, the problem is that my body doesn't correspond with the way that I view myself, or the way that I want other people to view me. I find myself not being taken seriously by people in business meetings, or when I'm out with friends, and certainly not by the opposite sex, because I weigh 260 lbs. I can certainly understand this attitude, and frankly if the tables were turned and I encountered someone 260 lbs, I might think twice before taking them seriously as well. I have very high ambitions both professionally and personally. It is time for me to take care of business in this area of my life. I feel that as long as I maintain the current shape (round) that I am in, there simply will be little to no advancement in either of these places.

Here's the problem: I have absolutely no idea where to get started with solving this problem, and the different times I have tried to get a handle on this problem in the past, it hasn't stuck because I felt more than a little foolish just on the treadmill at the gym not knowing what to do, how long to run, etc., and it was so easy/convenient to just grab a quick bite every once in a while, which became all the time, which became exclusively. I have an active gym membership, but I haven't been in several months because I have no clue what to do, and I have no one to help me figure it out. Because of this, it was incredibly easy to lose motivation. As a person, I have always found that I am incredibly effective, dedicated, and generally outstanding when I have a sense of what I am doing, but if I don't have that sense, I'm like a fish out of water. Might as well be dead for all the good I can do just flopping around.

I found Nerd Fitness because a friend of mine linked to the article about drinking "healthily" (or at least, not UNhealthily) on Facebook. The article really resonated with me. After reading a few articles, I found that they all really made a lot of sense. I have been searching for a lasting solution to the fitness problem and I think this may be it. The Paleo Diet sounds incredibly promising. Historically, it makes sense, and honestly I can make a lot of the dietary changes with not a lot of effort. I really like that there are a ton of articles which contain the words "THIS IS THE STARTING POINT" which is exactly what I have been looking for. Hopefully after reading some more articles, I will be ready to make use of that damn gym membership eating a hole in my wallet again.

What I need from you guys is exactly what you would expect: I need a community of people who know what I'm going through and who will support me in my efforts to make my body match my body image. I promise to be as active on these boards as I can be, and to give everyone weekly updates. If for some reason I lose focus, stop giving updates, or if those updates aren't positive in nature, please for the love of God message me. This means a lot to me but I have been known to lose focus in the past if left unaccountable.

Thanks so much for all of your support, and I look forward to being a valuable part of the rebellion!

Alex

"Red 5 this is Red Leader, form up on me"

First off, Welcome to the Rebellion Alex. Thanks for you letting us know where you're at.

A quick read of your blog post looks like you've got a tested and proven plan about to begin. Simple changes in the begining, and according to the lived out evidence of so many people on here, you'll be seeing changes in these first few weeks.

You're not sure what to do at the gym? Have a look at the Rebel Strength Guide, or the multitudes of other strength programs the Warriors Forge discuss regularly. Or if you don't want to gym it, an easy way to start is to get walking, a couple of kilometers every day or two will accentuate your diet change for the better.

Can't wait to see more blog posts.

Peace

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

"Red 13 Preparing to attack"

Heya Alex, welcome aboard the ranks of the Rebellion! I recommend trying to find out exactly what sorta fitness you're going for (Strength-building, Parkour-running, etc) once you have that idea, search the forums specific to that "Class" and then you can find all of the resources you'll need, from Advice to Motivation via an Enemy Fighter heading towards you. Just don't hesitate to ask. See you around "Red 13 is 10-07!"

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Archived