Forums are back in action! ×

Where do I start?

Ghost here,

I'm in need of a quick run through. Right now I have posted a few times, but still mostly clueless.

I have many more questions, but I just need to know what the deal is with.

-Challenges

-Guilds/Squads

-Logging and Blogging

-Anything else I should know

Preferably someone with some experience, but all welcome to give me a hand.

yes, please. i am not only new to the site, but forums as a whole, so this is all a bit overwhelming. i'm frothing at the mouth to see all the classes and guilds and such and how they work and will help get me where i need to go. just maybe a few links or some-such to a thread that holds the info i need to be a productive member of this rebellion. oh... and i can't seem to upload photos...

Quick Start

Head over to Resource Page on the main site. Check out the links under "Eating Properly" and "Free Workout Routines". I think the Playground Workout is the best place to start (though it isn't listed on the Resource Page). If you have a gym membership and have little interest in bodyweight workouts you should do Starting Strength.

You can also try both for around 12 weeks and see what you like better: lifting weights or bodyweight training. For me it's a mixture: I use squats and deadlifts for lower body and do all my upper body work with bodyweight exercises.

This will probably go a long way to choosing your class.

Choosing a class

Note that classes are kinda arbitrary. I do most of my workouts with bodyweight only (so relative strength) and that makes me an Assassin. I also squat and deadlift with heavy weights, so that's Warrior-like. Waldo really focuses on running and that makes him a Scout. He also does bodyweight workouts, so that's Assassin-like. LorenWade did a lot of bodyweight workouts, so that made him an Assassin. Now he does CrossFit, so he's more of a Ranger. The guilds are intended for general discussion of that particular subject, not as a divide between classes. If you're a Scout, there is no reason not to look at the Warrior's guild.

Actually choosing a class only comes into play during the six-week challenge, and it's usually determined by your goal. What's your main goal besides "getting fitter"?

-Endurance, cardio: you're a Scout!

-Raw strength, lifting heavy things: you're a Warrior!

-Relative strength, speed, agility: you're an Assassin!

-Martial arts: you're a Monk!

-Flexibility: you're a Druid!

-ALL THE THINGS: you're a Ranger!

-Not really chosen yet: you're an Adventurer!

Entering a challenge

The information will be provided a few days before the start of the challenge in a sticky in the Rebel Army Base Camp (current one can be found here). I won't post any more as it's all explained in the sticky.

Blogging/logging

A workout log is a really helpful thing, so you can keep one in the Blog system or the Workout Log forum. You may also prefer to keep a paper workout log or a spreadsheet workout log, that doesn't really matter. You should really track your workouts, though.

Blogging is completely optional. If you don't want to, don't do it. I don't.

Hope that helped. ;)

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

Archived