Forums are back in action! ×

That Woman Is Non-Stop!

Good evening all! 

One of the songs that is without question going to make it into my Spotify Wrapp is Hamilton's "Non-Stop" I often get told told that I'm non-stop and receive frequent warnings to "Take a Break"

I want to use this space to document document the work I do with my hobbies, keep me in check, and "My Shot" at becoming good at what I love (okay, I promise that's the last one).

I do aerial arts, two forms of martial arts, I am learning Italian, how to make clothes, and how to draw.

(I collect hobbies really)

So, come and bear witness to the nonsense!

It was the apple what done it.

Specifically losing the apple I just bought was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

It was supposed to be day off to relax, but I ended up having: two mini-meltdowns (one due to the fact my brain could not do time-math, the second due to a dry as a cracker cookie); two arguments with the bank; paying for an extra lesson to help a friend only for her to cancel right at the last minute; one lost Spotify account because Spotify decided to not let me log in; and the single aforementioned hand picked deliciously red apple that was intended to be post gym snack.

Over It Wtf GIF by Julie Winegard

*SIGH*

Anyway, earlier today I signed up to Fancy Gym today, only to realise that I am extraordinarily gym-illiterate - there were lots of fancy things, some of which I recognised, few of which I knew how to work.

However! I cobbled together a workout routine that did what I intended it to do:

5 min run on assault treadmill - 497m / 7 - 8km 
Leg Raises x 5 reps 
Leg Tucks x 5 reps
Scap puls x 5 reps
Hang x 10 secs
Face Pull @ 5kg 10 reps x 3 sets
Dual Pulley Chest Fly @ 6.25kg 10 / 5 / 5 x 3 sets
Leg Press 20kg 10 reps x 3 sets
Rdlererse Hypers 5 reps x 3 sets bodyweight 
Rings - Invert - straight arm lower 5 reps x 2 sets
Elevated pushup 5 / 5 / 5 (These got so much better when I remembered to screw the jam jar lids in!)

I ended with 20 mins of backbend stretching, which included that damn locust pose hold that I just. Can't. Do.

[yet]

Bought snacks after, healthy stuff for breakfast and lunch tomorrow. Ate the rest of the leftover fries MINDFULLY and, what do you know? I ended up eating half and throwing the rest away!

Until next time.

If my butt was a person, it would be that kind of person who has been assigned all kinds of important responsibilities, however refuses to a single one of them, preferring to delegate to my poor overworked hamstrings and don a rather lazez-faire attitude about life.

I have, essentially, a butt made of lies (BMOL).

My BMOL is part and parcel of my whole hypermobility thing, but while my hypermobile shoulders pull their weight, my butt refuses to engage.

This was never more apparent in both Aerial Sling and Aerial Straps class last night where almost every move had some cue along the line "make sure your glutes are actively engaged to create some tension". There was a really rather lovely fake standing split we were taught, but because I literally couldn't engage the back glute to push my leg up, I ended up being smooshed between the two straps.

HOWEVER! I had a really big win, I had a portion of fries, I ate them in a mindful manner and I actually felt full before finishing them and threw them away! I can't tell you what a difference taking a couple of deep breaths between each bite make!

• Like 1

Going to the gym has been an... experience...

I don't have the best proprioception with both feet on the ground (diagnosed with what's known in America as DCD), I am quite hypermobile and I have just enough knowledge that I am overwhelmed with various ways I could hurt myself with the weights, the bars, and the dumbbells. I found a glute training program online to address the issues with my BMOL, but there are a lot of complex movement patterns that I find really hard to mimic.

I think  I might need to call in help for this. 

The cardio is going better than I expected, if I've got a good soundtrack then it's bearable - I'm finding that the Hamilton soundtrack works wonders distracting me from the numbers on the screen, if I look too often I start asking "how has it only been 23 seconds? It's felt like I've been here for at least 2 minutes!"

Stretching is hard, it's easier to convince myself to do it when I'm at the gym, but I don't want to put on a whole online class and do that in a crowded space.  I have made progress, I position myself in a half split and try to lift my foot off the ground and hold it - it's super hard to do, but I've managed to go from not being bale to lift it at all to holding it for 5 seconds! 

I've been using the rings, they are my favourite part of the gym so far, of course it's technically cheating as really they are another aerial appartus and the whole point of going to the gym was to work the muscles I'm not using  at the aerial studio. 

It's been a super quiet week on the aerial front, my quietest week yet with only two classes attended, and they were fine.

These last two days have been super difficult for eating, I'm really tired,I'm feeling stressed and it is super tempting to just give into the impulse that says "here, you're knackered, eat three sandwiches, it'll make you feel better"

I had never heard of DCD, so I googled it. That is great that you are pushing through it, and learning really tough skills like aerial. I have always considered myself klutzy, and learning anything physical has been super challenging. I just figured that I would always be a klutz. It's been fun for me to realize that I could actually learn  things like proprioception, and do things that I never thought I could do.  

I bet getting a coach to help you with the movements would be super helpful

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27