Forums are back in action! ×

Good Kettlebell Workout

Dio

Does anyone have suggestions for a good metcon workout using a single weight of kettlebell?

Ideally I'm looking for something with a similar flow to Steve's bodyweight cycle. I have a one pood that I can swing through most basic moves and a half pood that I mostly use for warm up.

My goal in general right now is to add over-all muscles and generally strengthen core and stabilizers. I'm going to get back into the routine of a 5x5 as well, but have been lazy.

Thanks in advance!

One day at a time. No excuses. Battle Log | Current Challenge - Bleep All the Things

I used to do 50 swings, 40 highpulls per hand, 30 cleans per hand, 20 presses per hand, 10 snatches per hand, and 5 windmills per hand. Nice and "symmetrical". Do that for time, once you get it down to a certain time goal, raise the reps for each exercise.

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

my first stop for any kettlebell routine is usually www.bikejames.com Some good form videos on there.

He uses them for mountain bike training but the rules still apply.

Also Phil Scarito of DV8fitness has great tutorials of KB stuff

What weight are we talking about?

Could you do a circuit of:

Swings

One arm Cleans

One arm Snatches

Goblet Squats

KB Lunges

For warmup you can do TGUs, and windmills (love windmills)

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

I used to do 50 swings, 40 highpulls per hand, 30 cleans per hand, 20 presses per hand, 10 snatches per hand, and 5 windmills per hand. Nice and "symmetrical". Do that for time, once you get it down to a certain time goal, raise the reps for each exercise.

what's a windmill?

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

I like doing circuits with KB swings or 1 arm swings and jumping rope or burpees and choosing either the same number or reps each round, or descending them each time (21 of each, 15 of each, 9 of each). Fairly simple idea, but it's nice because of how easily it can be modified and changed.

You may already be too fit for this to be applicable, but I've been doing the workouts on livefitrevolution.org. It's a free membership signup.

This has kicked my ass. I have not lifted a single weight in several months, but with the kettlebell exercises, I'm feeling muscles under the fat that I had forgotten I had.

For me, the best thing about it is that the people in the video are all beginners and/or heavy and starting out at the same place as I am.

here's an example of the day 4 beginner level workout:

1. Swing Warm-Up 5 sets of 20

2. Swing/Catch/Squat/Press 1 set of 20

3. Deadlift, One-Arm Swing/Snatch 2 sets of 15, 10/side

4. Swing/Catch/Squat/Press 1 set of 20

5. Alt Hand Swing 3 sets of 10/side

6. One-Arm Swing/Clean/Squat/Press Ladder (5/side, then 4, 3, 2, and 1)

"Get busy living or get busy dying. That's goddamn right." - Red"I'm not losing weight, I'm evicting fat." -me

here's an example of the day 4 beginner level workout:

1. Swing Warm-Up 5 sets of 20

2. Swing/Catch/Squat/Press 1 set of 20

3. Deadlift, One-Arm Swing/Snatch 2 sets of 15, 10/side

4. Swing/Catch/Squat/Press 1 set of 20

5. Alt Hand Swing 3 sets of 10/side

6. One-Arm Swing/Clean/Squat/Press Ladder (5/side, then 4, 3, 2, and 1)

Is this designed to be done straight through with no breaks in between, or resting? I assume resting.

And I'm skinnier due to diet, but don't know if I can consider myself "fit" yet. I def. don't have the muscle mass I want, and am seriously lacking in a lot of areas.

One day at a time. No excuses. Battle Log | Current Challenge - Bleep All the Things

Dio, this includes resting and water as necessary. I have to rest after each bullet, but the drill sergeant who does the videos is always encouraging people to push themselves. The first video took over an hour to get through, but that is because she was demonstrating proper form, etc. and going through detailed stretches.

"Get busy living or get busy dying. That's goddamn right." - Red"I'm not losing weight, I'm evicting fat." -me

Archived