Forums are back in action! ×

Hello from Tucson

Hi Everybody,

I discovered NF a week or so ago after googling some fitness-related something, and have been doing a lot of reading here since. I've just gotten back to exercise in the last 5 or 6 weeks after a very long hiatus, and am working hard to look & feel better and get rid of this rather hefty spare tire I've been lugging around for years now. In fact, I already feel great, and I now look forward to my morning workouts more than I've looked forward to anything in quite some time. I took a first step about 5 years ago when I quit smoking, but I hadn't been consistent about nutrition or exercise since then. Had a wake-up call back in December when I discovered my blood pressure steamrolling into the hypertension zone at 163/95, and immediately started reducing the amount of sodium I was eating. At the same time, I decided I would finally eliminate all sources of high-fructose corn syrup from my diet. These two things forced me to re-evaluate everything I ate and drank, and it's been a good journey so far. I got my average blood pressure back down to normal levels (albeit on the high end of normal). Now with a few weeks of regular exercise, it's way down in the very healthy range more often than not - in fact I measured 111/79 just the other day when I was feeling particularly relaxed. So what now? Now I'm looking to level up again & really get into awesome shape. In the past week I've shifted my diet to mostly-paleo and stepped up the intensity of my workouts. And I feel supercharged - so much so I'm finding it somewhat difficult to sit at my desk & work :eek-new:. I tend to be something of a lurker in forums, so I'm not sure how active I expect to be here, but I just wanted to say hello & how impressed I am with all the excellent things we nerds can do!

Cheers,

Patrick

Dwarf Ranger

LVL 0 | STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 3 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

Food Log | Fitocracy | Current NF Challenge | Twitter

Laugh-a while you can, Monkey Boy! - Exiled Lord John Whorfin of Planet 10

Archived