Forums are back in action! ×

Going for an old dream - stupid?

Do you know those old dreams that keep popping up, no matter how old you get? No matter how little sense they make to everyone else? 
Well, I have one of those. I've had it since I was 18... and I'm closing in on 40 now. And I'm getting too old and prone to injury to follow the dream, unless I get my ass of the chair and work for it. 

I want to be a police officer. I flunked the physical test when I was 21, and didn't reapply until I was in my late 20s. And I fell on some psych evaluation that was made without ever meeting me or seeing my papers. Anyway. That's history. For years I've worked my way up the latter to now actually work within a high paying 8-16 job with the police, in a place that I absolutely love. But ... This is not the job that I wanted. And while I can see the jobs that I want just in front of me, I will never be allowed to apply because I don't have the basic police education and training. Maybe in 5-10 years I'll have enough inside knowledge under my belt to be able, but not today. Or in the near future. 

So - do I go for the dream? It will cost me my high wages and a lot of my savings, it will be bye bye to my "no nightshift" job, and my husband hate the idea just as much now as he did 20 years ago. Hate is probably not a strong enough word for how he feels about it. ... But I am SO effing tired of not putting my own interests first. I'm always skipping workouts to cater to work or to other peoples needs and wishes. And I've lived with not following the dream, even though I think about it every single day. 

Will it be hard to reach? Yes. May I fail due to injury or simply not be accepted into the school? Yes, that is a very realistic possibility. But damn it, I'd like to give it one last try. And  if you are reading this, then I need your help and support. Any kind word or swift kick in the bu*' will help me get started again. 

So here goes nothing. I'm chasing the dream, one last time. Wish me luck!