Forums are back in action! ×

I don't want to say again "Well next year I will finally have done it"

Hi there,

greetings from Austria in Europe. I'm a 27year old female music-bakery-computer-photography-travel-loving geek, pursuing my masters degree in computer science while working part time in order to afford my studies and I think all the way back from my teeny years, I have been trying to lose weight. I have been an overweight child since 8 or 9, mostly because I just loved sweets too much. Since 16 I tried to lose weight by trying different kinds of diets and training on the hometrainer. I had problems to keep on track, I got bored by training on the hometrainer only and going to the gym worked for a few months, but I didn't feel motivated to go there often. :( I did lose 7kgs after some years, but I still haven't reached the point of feeling content with my body, I know I'm not horribly overweight, but there is still some weight to lose.

What bothers me more is that I look very untrained, through all the years when I tried to do sports, I never got the feeling that my efforts could be seen. So my goal would be to lose some weight, but even more to get a fitter appearance. Currently I started with Paleo, sometimes drinking a coffee or a glass of red wine, but not on a regular basis with a cheat day once a week and I attend a dance course once a week. I want to start with the beginners workout as addition to the dance course and want to set myself as goal to be able to do one push up as this is something I have never been able to do and setting myself a weight goal always lead to failing. My family and friends do mean well, but are no good support for my undertaking, most of them give me a queer look when I tell them about paleo. But all in all, I'm determined to change something so that I will no longer say "oh no, it's May already and I wanted to be fit for summer..well next year then", so then I hope this will be my year! :)

Greetings Eve

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Half Night Elf Adventurer

STR 3.25 | DEX 2 | STA 7.75 | CON 2.75 | WIS 5 | CHA 3

Current Challenge: 2012 | June 18 - July 30 |

Don't be afraid to fail. Be afraid not to try.

Welcome to the rebellion and congrats and stepping up and doing it!

I'll recycle some of Steve's advice (paraphrased)... If your family gives you queer looks and are just waiting for you to fail, use it. Let it be motivation to show them you know what you're doing, and wait until you get to see how good it feels to hear them say "Wow, that really did work!"

My wife and I got the same flak from our coworkers. "You're only eating meat and veggies? That's not healthy. And you're not going to run? There's no way you can lose fat if you don't run." And now we're fitter than most any of them. And you know what? It feels great!

Good luck and stick with it! The Beginner Bodyweight is what got us started as well, and it still feels good! Don't be afraid to make any move more advanced if it seems too easy. We dropped dumbbell rows for inverted rows almost immediately.

Here's to no more "next year"s!

One day at a time. No excuses. Battle Log | Current Challenge - Bleep All the Things

Hi there,

greetings from Austria in Europe. I'm a 27year old female music-bakery-computer-photography-travel-loving geek, pursuing my masters degree in computer science while working part time in order to afford my studies and I think all the way back from my teeny years, I have been trying to lose weight. I have been an overweight child since 8 or 9, mostly because I just loved sweets too much. Since 16 I tried to lose weight by trying different kinds of diets and training on the hometrainer. I had problems to keep on track, I got bored by training on the hometrainer only and going to the gym worked for a few months, but I didn't feel motivated to go there often. :( I did lose 7kgs after some years, but I still haven't reached the point of feeling content with my body, I know I'm not horribly overweight, but there is still some weight to lose.

What bothers me more is that I look very untrained, through all the years when I tried to do sports, I never got the feeling that my efforts could be seen. So my goal would be to lose some weight, but even more to get a fitter appearance. Currently I started with Paleo, sometimes drinking a coffee or a glass of red wine, but not on a regular basis with a cheat day once a week and I attend a dance course once a week. I want to start with the beginners workout as addition to the dance course and want to set myself as goal to be able to do one push up as this is something I have never been able to do and setting myself a weight goal always lead to failing. My family and friends do mean well, but are no good support for my undertaking, most of them give me a queer look when I tell them about paleo. But all in all, I'm determined to change something so that I will no longer say "oh no, it's May already and I wanted to be fit for summer..well next year then", so then I hope this will be my year! :)

Greetings Eve[/quote

Hey Eve,

Gruesse from a fellow newbie. I really know where you are coming from! I have been trying to lose since I was 16, but I am forty now! So you don't want to be me.

I lived in Germany for 15 years or so (right around the corner from you :)) and am now in Ireland.

My friends and coworkers also think I'm crazy, and say, "It's just Atkins with another name! ha ha".

Sarah

Hi there! :)

Thank you so much for the friendly welcome, that just feels so right ^^

@Dio

yeah I understand you well, I get that argument often that it's unhealthy. It's most difficult to argue with rice, because everybody says rice is so healthy, how do you argue with that? I went to India for 10days, eat only vegetables, not so many sweets, some bread and rice with it and walked a lot during the day. I gained 2kgs during the holiday. When I was at home and ate no bread and rice, I lost the 2kgs after a week again, for me that just proves it that my body doesn't compile with this kind of food, but that still doesn't count for my friends. What is lvl3 atkins btw? :)

@sarahfancy

haha nice that was really close! :) Where did you live in Germany? :)

I felt so motivated after posting the article that I went for the beginners workout yesterday again, though it was a holiday in Austria and usually I couldn't bring myself up to training on free days, hooray :)

Greetings Eve

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Half Night Elf Adventurer

STR 3.25 | DEX 2 | STA 7.75 | CON 2.75 | WIS 5 | CHA 3

Current Challenge: 2012 | June 18 - July 30 |

Don't be afraid to fail. Be afraid not to try.

Archived