Forums are back in action! ×

I know I can do this

I can do this. I need to do this. I have always wanted the results I will get from this. I'm 27 years old, I've been married for almost 4 years, and I'm tired of being the token fattie in my husband's family. I'm currently 212 lbs, and I want to be to the 180s by my birthday at the end of September. I think that is doable.

I've tried all kinds of things throughout my life to try to get my weight under control, at least from once I understood it was a problem. I fought my way through low fat diets, and low carb diets, and everything in between. The only successes I've had have been when I wasn't working, so dieting and exercise were my job, and the apartment complex had a pool. I am almost back to my peak weight, and I am not happy with this. I want to get healthy so I can have kids, and they will have a healthy environment, too.

I don't really know what I need, besides a spine and enough willpower to do this. I've already made a start today - walked around the lake near my work after lunch in 45 minutes. Phone said it was about 1.7 miles, so that seems like a decent start. Tomorrow morning I'll try the beginner body weight workout - I certainly have enough body weight!

Ah! Here's a question-ish thing. I hate salad. I have tried all sorts of ways to get me to eat it, and the best I can do is like a tiny side salad that I hate eating. If I try to force myself to eat salad, I wind up getting tired of eating it and (TMI) gag on it. I don't want to eat full meat-based meals every time I'm hungry. What kind of things can I try?

I already don't eat bread or potatoes or sugar. I try to avoid carbohydrates in general, unless they come from vegetables or fruit. I just wish I could actually eat salad, but I can't.

I'm not a big salad person either. So what's a Rebel to do? Vegetable medleys? I don't know. I never developed a taste for most vegetables.

McSmack: Level 2 Half-Giant Adventurer and general Man-About-Town (one challenge completed)

STR - 5 DEX - 1 STA - 4 CON - 3 WIS - 7 CHA - 6

Why don't you try different sorts of salad besides the lettuce-y kind? There's broccoli salad, beet salad, carrot salad, cole slaw...etc. And that's just if you think you need salad. There's always veggies of any sort. Also, what helps me sometimes is to rice or mash cauliflower, plus a vegetable. It adds a little bit of variety to my meals and makes me feel like I'm having a more substantial meal.

Current Challenge

Level 2 Human Ranger

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 2 | WIS 3 | CHA 2

Mens sana in corpore sano

One of my favorite discoveries has been that if I send cooked cauliflower through the shredding attachment on my food processor, it sort of looks and acts like rice. I suppose I should be able to play with that, and add other veggies and things like chicken to it, make a mock casserole sort of food.

One of my favorite discoveries has been that if I send cooked cauliflower through the shredding attachment on my food processor, it sort of looks and acts like rice. I suppose I should be able to play with that, and add other veggies and things like chicken to it, make a mock casserole sort of food.

It's great like this in Jambalaya, and I've heard tell of folks using it to make risotto.

Current Challenge

Level 2 Human Ranger

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 2 | WIS 3 | CHA 2

Mens sana in corpore sano

Ah! Here's a question-ish thing. I hate salad. I have tried all sorts of ways to get me to eat it, and the best I can do is like a tiny side salad that I hate eating. If I try to force myself to eat salad, I wind up getting tired of eating it and (TMI) gag on it. I don't want to eat full meat-based meals every time I'm hungry. What kind of things can I try?

I already don't eat bread or potatoes or sugar. I try to avoid carbohydrates in general, unless they come from vegetables or fruit. I just wish I could actually eat salad, but I can't.

How about stir fry? in some light oil?

Human Adventurer
First completed challenge| my paleo experience
Never underestimate the power of Momentum.
Believe in action. Not in the consequence of it.

I guess I can try stir fry. That was one of the things my parents went on a decade-long kick of when I was 13 or so, and so I don't have fond memories of it. But if I'm in control of it, it's bound to be tastier. I'd use fresh vegetables instead of frozen, if nothing else.

Actually fresh or frozen doesn't matter, from what I have heard. Just don't go overboard with the seasonings. Ginger or garlic add very strong flavors, with not much calories damage. If you don't like the taste of raw veggies, you can try adding them.

Human Adventurer
First completed challenge| my paleo experience
Never underestimate the power of Momentum.
Believe in action. Not in the consequence of it.

Leafy greens are still really helpful nutitionally... shredding spinach and mixing it in with chicken salad or an omelet is one trick. Cooked spinach works, too. Also have you tried lettuce wraps? take all the fixings you'd normally put in a burrito or wrap, and put them in a crisp piece of romaine instead? It turns the lettuce into a delivery system instead of the main focus, and you guarantee every bite is filled with yum!

One day at a time. No excuses. Battle Log | Current Challenge - Bleep All the Things

You CAN do this! Keep up the good work! Keep walking, exercising! And maybe you should try to 'learn' to eat new types of veggies. It's how I learned to appreciate certain foods as well but it did take some time and a lot of chewing. Other methods of cooking and new spices can make your meals more interesting too!

Just let the excitement take hold of you and wake up your inner Chuck Norris/Hulk/<insert hero here>

- You only live once... so kick ass while you can

I'd have to go with Black Widow. :)

I've been trying some veggies, but also sticking with the tried and true where I can. Broccoli and cauliflower are my staples. Green beans are my variety. I've been trying to experiment with at least 1 new veggie each week. I've discovered that roasted brusselsprouts are actually somewhat tasty so far.

Archived