Forums are back in action! ×

Learning To Live Vicariously Through Myself

Ok, basics. I'm 23 years old, about 5' 10" and just a shade over 200lbs (a month ago I was about 220). I've been eating partially Paleo for about a month now and, in combination with the personal trainer I've been working with for 2 weeks, this has been showing positive improvements (as evidenced by the weight drop). Ideally my weight will be around 180, so I still have a ways to go, but after that first 15 I feel like I got this in the bag.

People who inspire me, not all of whom are strictly 'real', include Ezio (from Assassins Creed 2, Brotherhood, and Revelations), and Neil Strauss (author of The Game, and Emergency: This Book Will Save Your Life) I've always been the kind of guy who would see things in movies or video games and think "Wow, I wish I could do that." Well I'm going to. that's why I will be very busy for the next few years working with my trainer, learning to skydive, becoming competent in parkour and kung fu, competing in crossfit and learning wilderness survival and urban evasion. I also have plans to travel, but I'm focusing on other areas just now. In my mind, the two biggest limiting factors to ALL of my goals are Money and my current level (or lack thereof) of fitness, both of which I am actively pursuing to correct. One of my very favorite books is 'Emergency: This Book Will Save Your Life' and I hope to write something similar within the next decade.

Also, I have been eating as much Paleo as I can while having almost no control over the householf food, unfortunately the kitchen can only handle one cook at a time, and I get veto'd. So I hope to go full Paleo as soon as I get my own place, and as soon as I get the finer points figured out.

I've found the NF articles to be very inspirational and informative, and I look forward to learning how to be part of the internets, and part of this community.

"Oh, fear not in a world like this, And thou shalt know erelong, Know how sublime a thing it is, To suffer and be strong."  - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow -

Battle Log - MyFitnessPal - FitBIt

To get something you've never had, you have to become someone you've never been.

Welcome to the rebellion!

First off, congrats on hte progress! Doesn't it feel good to drop those first pounds? It's like the whole world got lighter. And extra congrats for working towards a diet even when circumstances made it hard. I think once you're able to fully commit to paleo, you'll really feel your world explode in a good way! Sooooo much energy came with it for me.

So what does your personal trainer have you doing workout wise?

One day at a time. No excuses. Battle Log | Current Challenge - Bleep All the Things

Thanks man, it is really awesome feeling like I'm not such a fat slob anymore.

She's got me doing a lot of specific isolation exercises on machines to correct all of the imbalances I created through poor form and over emphasis on certain exercises. So things like the thigh machines, seated row modified to work the mid-low back and external shoulder rotations with the cable, as well as things like lunges with wood chop and stability ball planks and a myriad of things for the core. It's killer. I can't wait until I get all sorted out so that I can start training with more functional movements like body weight and olympic lifts. Maybe get into Crossfit and parkour.

And you're absolutely right about the full Paleo diet, on weeks when I have the house to myself I go full Paleo and it's amazing. I really look forward to making a permanent switch. The only thing I have problems with is Paleo snacks, but I can sort that out as I get to it.

"Oh, fear not in a world like this, And thou shalt know erelong, Know how sublime a thing it is, To suffer and be strong."  - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow -

To get something you've never had, you have to become someone you've never been.

Interesting. I've never heard of isolation moves to correct imbalances. I take it she's not up for you just starting on correct form in complex lifts starting with a lower weight and letting your body correct itself?

Stronglifts has a great mentality of starting REALLY low at things like squats, deadlifts, and only going up in small increments. By the time you get to "real" weight, your form is often perfect and all muscles are in great harmony. This way you're not building new imbalances like curls that utilize your bicep but don't engage your shoulder.

But whatever works! It's still better than sitting around wishing to be skinny like I used to do!

One day at a time. No excuses. Battle Log | Current Challenge - Bleep All the Things

She has me doing things like seated rows and cresent rows, but really emphasizing contraction of the muscles between the shoulder blades as opposed to the shoulder or anything else that might compensate. I'm still working other areas but I'm focusing on really balancing out my shoulders, to relieve pain and improve mobility. So far it's working. I'm going to stick with it for a few more weeks, get up to three sets consistently and then I'm going to get back into my routine of dead lifts, pull ups, pushups, lunges, and core stuff. Then I'll be getting into parkour and martial arts. I may have misspoken, I occasionally forget how to use the only language I know.

Archived