Forums are back in action! ×

madison-area wimp

Hello Nerds,

I'm a programmer in Madison, WI and in the evenings I co-manage a garage-gym focused on olympic weightlifting and strongman. We call it DinosaurSwole: Health Club, Spa, and Tanning, but we just have a few oly platforms with power racks, bumper plates and strongman implements (obviously no spa or tanning). Mondays are "classical music" night, Wednesdays are Ladies' night (women lift for free), and Fridays are strictly 80's music and setting PBRs (personal best records). No treadmills or mirrors, and no headphones (because we need to talk about politics, religions, and videogames). Maybe it's not a surprise then that we only have 7 members... but I'm guessing a lot of people on these forums can relate to this sort of setup, so I'm hoping to learn what experiences other garage gym owners have had.

A personal goal of mine has been to place at the annual Madison Strongman competition, but because that seemed unlikely a couple years ago, I started a computer-themed strongman competition with some friends, narrowed the field to just programmers (and IT professionals), and called it "The WiMP" (Wirld's Mightiest Programmer competition). So, I'm in the process of organizing this year's for June 23rd. If any nerds out there are interested in becoming wimps feel free to message/email me, or check out the website for details (http://www.wimpgames.net)

-Charlie

Archived