Forums are back in action! ×

Failing, and what defines it

Hey all,

I've been incredibly lucky to read the Nerd Fitness blogs, and lucky enough to have emailed back and forth a few times with Steve. I guess after reading today's blog I feel inspired to try to work on my personal failings. My primary one has been a weight battle, but I'm not going to singly strike on that point here.

Let's get the weight out of the way though and talk about cooler things after. Firstly I'm a cubicle mole, so most of my day is spent between 3 walls and a pseudo-door. So I'm not very active at work. I also have a gym membership that I erratically use, and have tried to create and recreate diets that in the past had helped me go from 265 to 208. Unfortunately after I had that goal I lost my job, and then initially moved from the country of Indiana to New England (specifically in New Hampshire). This uprooting was great that it got my finances going again, but I was picking up bad habits as I generously took up what there was to offer food-wise for the area. So I started trying to reduce my portions, but like the example in the blog, I would cruise for a week or two and then crash hard and go all the way back to square one.

I'm taking a stand and here and am seeking synergy from all you readers, because I realize that I can't self-motivate myself to do the things necessary to make a stand, let alone start taking back ground. I need synergy for several things such as getting up to go work out. I've often used the excuse of only having one hand to not do arm exercises, but I think it's simply a crutch I'm leaning on. I internally battle with going to workout because I'm not feeling up to it or because I'm going alone. I have projects even to complete around my apartment and I tell myself 'Oh it's not going to come out right' so I don't even try.

So getting to the end of all this, what am I going to do about it? I'm going to ask for help by suggestions for motivation, ideas to change up routines to make them both a bit fun and healthy while I'm at it, and hopefully who knows I can get a few of you guys to keep me accountable in what I'm doing as I still acclimate to this area. Anything you guys do is really appreciated. I'm going to improve myself, but I believe my insanity of doing it alone can not be done. So...hopefully with help, one step at a time...I'll win this war, one battle at a time.

Thanks,

Robb

The thing that has helped me this time and has helped give me the greatest momentum was the structure I constructed.

1. I created a "mythology" for my routine. I made it the path to becoming a Jedi. I love Star Wars, so I broke down my life change into aspects that fit this - read my training trials for an idea.

2. I created a Game to decide if I hit the goals - see FitQuest thread in the Fun Fitness forum.

3. Instead of just logging my exercise, I log everything I eat and make it public so that this community will hold me accountable. I also include my goals.

4. I chose a fitness class so that I had a group to work with. I always did well in a class based environment (hence good grades in school) so I picked a class that mimiced that feel and made sure to talk to the peeps I exercise with.

5. The class I picked was enjoyable. I find just running boring and the same weight routine boring. It also matches my fitness goals.

I hope this helps.