Forums are back in action! ×

wheel of time

I was a rabid fan until Lord of Chaos. Man, that book pissed me off.

I grudgingly read the remaining books that Jordan wrote. My wife bought the one by Sanderson, but I don't have any interest in reading it until he wraps it up.

What a crock. A trilogy that was unnecessarily expanded to 5, 6, 10, and now 14 books?!

I (and many others) always used to joke that Jordan would die before he finished, as he was writing Conan books and then tried to spring a prequel trilogy with Moiraine (thankfully, crappy sales shot down the other 2 books he planned to write *before* he finished the main series). When he announced he really was dying, but that he had the last book planned out, I thought there would at least be some closure. And then for Sanderson to milk that out to 3 more books was the final straw.

I'll read the remaining books once it's truly done.

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...

I like them.

But then I like loooong sweeping books with tons of sub plots.

He did draw them out a touch too long I will admit.

Sandersons ones are pretty good.

I like the majority of his other work as well (Mistborn, Elantris, Warbreaker, Way of Kings) so I'm not hugely phased that he took over.

He has a bit more of a conclusive style which I find less maddening.

But yea, if you've made it through the rest you'll like Towers of Midnight.

And Alecto, if it's not the last book I'll probably just shoot the bugger myself.

I too like Sanderson's books so far. There are some things that feel a bit out of place at times but in general I'm happy. There is a noticeable faster pace too which I prefer. I found myself getting bogged down in the later books in the series so the recent ones are a nice change.

Based on 1.5 books by Sanderson that I've read so far, I can't imagine Jordan would have been able to fit everything into the single final book that he promised. Will certainly be glad once the entire series is finally done for good though.

Love the story, hate the series. I distinctly remember standing in the bookstore with a friend of mine many years ago, looking down at book 8 and discussing whether we were willing to go back to it, knowing it'd just hurt us again.

That said, having waded through the Never-Ending Descriptions of Dresses and The Book That Spanned a Week From 12 People's Point of View, I'm glad I did. Sanderson is the breath of fresh air that the story needed, and is wrapping things up astonishingly quickly. Seriously, he's doing it as fast as he can, and cutting through a lot of bullshit along the way.

Rand: "Let me guess... you're going to call me a wool-head."

Nynave: "..... wouldn't dream of it."

YES!!

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

I can put up with her sniffs, but I'm sick of the random verbal abuse. I admit that it's not quite accurate characterization, but THANK GOD Sanderson stopped the constant name calling and nagging.

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins