Forums are back in action! ×

New Here, Old to Fitness

Hey friends,

Newly joined to NF, though I’ve been checking out and keeping up with the goings on of the site since 2011.

Basic info:

Nickname: Jupe

Height: 5’2”

Current weight: 185-190lbs.

Body Fat %: ~36%
Muscle Mass %: ~61%

Goals: Increase muscle mass; increase PR lifts*; increase agility and speed

Athletic History:

• Nationally competing figure skater (ice) from age 9-16 (singles and synchro)

• Dedicated CrossFitter from 2013-2014

• Competitive roller derby athlete from 2014-2020 with DC Roller Derby (formerly DC Rollergirls) All Stars and VA All Stars

• Consistently weightlifting from 2017-2022; inconsistently 2022-2023

• Casual rock climbing: 2022

PR Lifts* (Last taken when weighting 175-180lbs.)

Back squat: 190lbs.

Deadlift: 285lbs.

Bench press: 90lbs.

The Pandemic and my studies (pursuing my PhD) forced me into an athletic hiatus. All of the contact injuries seemed to have finally caught up with me last year, and my body has been taking the elongated rest period to show me just how much PT I apparently REALLY needed. ?

My studies are limiting my budget significantly, so I can’t meet with my regular trainer. I’ve never made a program of my own, and am currently starting in with StrongLifts 5x5. I know I’m only on Day 3, but I’m finding the weight frustratingly light. I want to avoid Oly lifts for now due to my history of injures and strains. I plan on returning to derby by May/June of 2024. I don’t care about my number on the scale unless I’m using that number to define my lifts. I DO care about my body fat %.

So, my goals:
• Decrease body fat %, increase  muscle mass %

• Match or break my PRs

• Avoid re-injury or exacerbating injuries

Research-based advice is MAJORLY welcome, ESPECIALLY from my fellow female, [ex-]competitive athletes! ???‍♀️

?️Jupe

• Like 4
53 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

Welcome to NF! Those are great goals. I'm impressed with how strong you are and all the cool athletic stuff you've done!

Thank you! Looking at others’ numbers and checking out their knowledge inspires me to work harder and get better. I’m looking forward to learning from everyone! ?

• Like 1