Forums are back in action! ×

Neurodivergents Unite!

Hello all my fellow nerds. I was diagnosed ADHD at 37 years old about a year ago. It explains so much. 

I am looking for hacks. Ways to keep myself accountable as i try to lose weight for the umpteenth time. Ways to keep myself on track with both my fitness goals and nutrition goals when I have an all-or-nothing mindset and an inability to form habbits. I need a routine and triggers in place to make me stick to that routine.

Thanks for any input or insight!

"When I can no more stir my soul to move, and life is but the ashes of a fire; When I can but remember that my heart once used to live and love, long and aspire - O be thou then the first, the one thou art; Be thou the calling before all answering love, and in me wake hope, fear, boundless desire." - George MacDonald

ADHD isn't one of my issues, so this may or may not work for you. I read once (maybe even on the NerdFitness site) that "behaviour chaining" is a very reliable way to build a habit.

This is where you create a new behaviour around a habit you already have.

Example, "after I brush my teeth, I will do 10 pushups" - you already brush your teeth each day, so now you will also do pushups each day. Or, "as soon as I get home from work, and before I make supper, I will do my (DVD/online/program) workout." I hope that makes sense.

For me the harder thing is with diet. The NerdFitness blog had some really great suggestions, like "try one new vegetable this week". If you buy it at the store, you're very likely to try to find a way to eat it. :)

Edit: Just came across a link in another thread to a great discussion about this exact thing

Hello fellow nerd (OP) and other nerds. I am also ND (ADHD (which I have actually figured out how to use to my advantage, though I also do some little meditation things to keep it in check when I need to), Aspergers, Tourette's Syndrome, Nonverbal Learning Disorder). I'd suggest using what tech you have on hand. I've got an alarm set for my night medication (Omeprazole), as well as teeth brushing. I also tend to keep MyFitnessPal up on my computer so that I know what to eat for my meals the following day(s). A hack I started out with before these was using a big, 2 liter, orange Nalgene water bottle. So anything that will grab your attention, but not too much, to keep you on track with your habits is a good hack IMO.

Waiting on an assessment date, but pretty sure I have AuDHD.  I also really struggle with moderation.  I can form habits, but they fall apart as soon as I miss a day; or fall short of my (typically unrealistic) expectations for myself. Or I go way too hard and make progress, but all in an obsessive, unhealthy way that hurts me in the long term. (In my twenties, I lost over 100lbs but spent three years dealing with bulimia). 

In the past year, I got a little calendar and do an X for every day that I "choose health".  The bar is low, basically the rule I've given myself to earn the X is to just do something. Whether it's a 1hr. of circuit training or 1 min. of yoga. it counts for the X.   I also allow Xs on days I don't workout due to being sick or injured, because in that instance, resting is the healthy thing to do.  It's not a perfect system but it is helping with consistency. 

• Like 1

Level 20 Ranger Monk 

Str- 18, Dex-12, Sta-10, Con-23, Wis-88, Cha-47

"Not all who wander are lost."

"We Shall Not Practice Fear"

Current Battlelog