Forums are back in action! ×

New to forum, on a mission

Hi everyone.

I am new here and have been reading lots of other welcome posts.

I’m Sam aged 36 from London. Yesterday I started a new fitness journey as I really want to lose weight and get as fit as I was in my mid 20s pre kids. I gained roughly 60 lbs since having my second child and I just want to get fit and healthy and feel good in my clothes again.

Yesterday I did a 3.2 mile walk and I finally started the Couch 2 5K app. I’ve been struggling to find dedicated time to work out at a reasonable hour as I would rather exercise alone, so my plan is to:

Walk for at least 1 hour a day.

Couch 2 5k (25 min workout a day)

Stick to 1200 cals a day

Weight training x3 times a week

I’m so glad I found this place. Everyone seems so supportive and honestly connecting with others going through similar challenges is all I’ve been looking for!

Come say hi if you’re on a similar journey or just for encouragement, it’ll be much appreciated!

• Like 2

Hi and welcome! I wish you much strength and endurance, and all the other subtle but noticeable benefits of walking. 

• Thanks 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

On 8/12/2023 at 1:03 AM, sparkle87 said:

Walk for at least 1 hour a day.

Couch 2 5k (25 min workout a day)

Weight training x3 times a week

You training plan looks doable if maybe a bit a big chunk of time to ask for if you've struggled to make time so far. You're talking about 13-14 hours a week there.  Maybe start with the walk for couple weeks then add the C25K  then add the strength work and if you get to a point where you're maxing out what you can commit, it's totally ok to stick with what is working.

On 8/12/2023 at 1:03 AM, sparkle87 said:

Stick to 1200 cals a day

This is concerning and puts even more pressure on your other planned items. Do you currently track your calories? If not, start with just tracking without making a change. If you do track, drop 250 calories from your maintenance. 1200 is brutally difficult

I'm glad your excited to make a change. Most of have been there. I've been there. I have the tendency to jump in with both feet and try to fend off the sharks while I'm at it but this way lies madness, or more commonly, in adherence. Your mission is laudable and I am not trying to poo poo it at all but I want you to have success so from my own failures and countless others I've seen, I'm suggesting a much more moderate plan out of the gate. You've got all the time in the world to ramp up to doing the really hard stuff if that's where life takes you. 

I really hope you enjoy the journey and hang out in our community. It's a lot of cool people.

• Like 1

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter