Forums are back in action! ×

Busted Knee in Southeast Asia

I f*cked my knee up. From the looks of things pretty badly, too. It's been almost two months and while pain while walking and going up and down stairs is pretty much gone I am still completely unable to jog/run/sprint/do road-work of any kind and as a boxer this is sort of a big deal and being laid up this long has really put me off my game.

Now, normally if I was in America I would hop on over to the local sports therapist or doctor, but I live and work in Thailand now with no real chance of going back anytime within the next year or two and in Surat Thani (where I am) there aren't any sports therapists and a doctor I can communicate with to the extent I need (more than: You, no have syphilis) are very, very rare. Now, I might *MIGHT* be able to swing a trip to Bangkok where they have some class A doctors and the like, but it would be expensive, both for the trip and the health care, not to mention the time I'd have to take off from work (at least a day even if I went on the weekend) so I'm hoping to avoid that.

I've tried the local option which is a masseuse trained in deep-sports massages + a bit extra (maybe some Trad. Chinese Medicine or something) but it didn't seem to help all that much.

I get a jarring, sharp pain in the back of my knee near the tendon and it locks my leg up pretty bad, making movement damn near impossible. I'm able to put weight and I still have full range of motion when I'm not running (I can still do almost as many pistols on it as with my left and it was always my weaker leg) but the impact from running (which is a pain, I either run barefoot or with Vibrams and have been for years with decent form) really kills me.

What I'm asking for I guess is tips and tricks for soothing joints/tendons of the knee and for advice from anyone else who's had an injury of this nature before as I'm unsure where my next step should be. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks, guys and girls.

Archived