Forums are back in action! ×

Respawn Point - (Still) A Newbie

When I was young, games really didn't have many respawn points.  My favorite one being The Lion King on SNES, you had about 3 chances and then you had to restart.  I was really really good at the first couple of levels, and then I would die and start over from the beginning.  I eventually got to the point where I beat the game basically out of muscle memory for the first several levels and lots of prayers after that.

I assume that is pretty much my life up to this point.  Starting over, doing the basics, getting by until I reach something new.  I always set down the controller and walk away from the game for months, and sometimes years.

Now, everything has a respawn point.  You don't have to start over from the beginning every time (unless you want to).  I don't need to replay all the old levels, unless I really want to.

I know this probably doesn't mean anything to anyone else, and you all probably already know this by this point.  But, I needed to say it to make it make sense to me.

Where am I today?  Where have I been?  What do I have planned?  These are all things that lead me to where I am, and where I am going.

Since the last time I posted, I have had a lot of big life changes.  At 35, I found out I was having my first child.  I had him in July of 2021 and he has been keeping me on my toes ever since.  I got gestational diabetes when I was pregnant with him, and then it seemed everything went back to normal after he was born.  I gained 80 lbs AFTER I had my son.  I switched jobs, I went from on my feet working 12 hours a day, 6 days a week (up to the 39 week mark), and then after I had him, I realized I couldn't keep up that pace and keep my family functioning.  I got a job much closer to home, but it is VERY sedentary.  I ended up with type 2 diabetes, and subsequently started a journey where I lost 40 of the 80 lbs I gained.  So lets break down the bad, so I can get to the good.

March 2023 - Diagnosed with type 2 diabetes

June 2023 - Doing really well with weight loss and becoming more active

July 2023 - found out I was pregnant with my second child

September 2023 - Miscarried, and needed surgery to assist with delivering all remnants of pregnancy.

October 2023 - broke a tooth

December 2023 - Had oral surgery to remove my wisdom teeth plus the broken tooth.  Count them, 5 teeth removed.

So, as you can probably imagine, I had a tough year mentally and physically.  This leads me to today.

Respawn Point.  Why am I here?  What am I going to do about it?

I am here because my son needs me.  I am here because I need an outlet, and I really need to be somewhere that helps me feel motivated.

My plan?  Actually respawn instead of starting from the beginning.  I already know the first several chapters.  I need to level up and be committed to myself.  

After going over a few of the old articles on the NF website, I realized that I needed to post here to feel like this is actually a respawn point.

I can control my diet.  I can do that in my sleep.  Finding an activity that I like and can commit to is where I struggle.

I think my starting point will be the bodyweight workouts on NF, but if anyone has any ideas or tips, I am completely open to them.  

• That's Metal 1

Level 2 Satyress adventurerSTR 3|DEX 3|STA 2|CON 2|WIS 7|CHA 6

First Challenge:  Disney Song Playlist (April 15th, 2013)

Second Challenge:  Better late than never (June 6, 2013)

"All great changes are preceded by chaos" - Deepak Chopra

Welcome back and congratulations on your respawn! 

That's a lot of life events, and especially a lot to have happen in one year. Congratulations on making it to this point, where you're ready to respawn and move forward. 

As you said, finding an activity that you like will be powerful. The bodyweight workout is a great place to start! 

Here are some other ideas you may want consider, if you don't like the bodyweight workout or just want other options: 

walking

biking

roller blading

dancing

swimming

taichi, qigong, or something similar

yoga 

If there's any way to get some movement into your sedentary work day, it can make a big difference! Depending on your work situation, that might look like getting up to stretch a few times a day, standing instead of sitting, walking while on a phone call, moving on your lunch break, even moving your feet under your desk. 

I hope you find an activity you love! See you around the forums. 

Happy respawn!!

I'm glad you are here! It's so hard to pick yourself back up after life throws a hell of a year at you. But you are here and that's awesome!

As for finding a fitness activity you like - I also struggle with that. I generally have an arsenal of workouts and plans ready to go at any time... but at the time, none of them spark anything for me.

My best advice is:

• Find a class or local "community". Something like an evening run group or a group fitness class you like. This has two benefits (for me at least) - a) I don't have to think about the workout, just show up and b) The community aspect gives me a reason to come back beyond the fitness. It may take a while to build up that community feeling, but if you stick with it it really helps!
  • In the beginning - chase the fun. Start the NF bodyweight. Do that as long as you are having fun. As soon as you feel bored with that - switch to an online yoga video (or whatever thing looks the coolest at the time). My opinion is that in the beginning all movement counts and you should sample as much as possible without feeling any guilt about dropping a plan and moving to another. As you settle in to a good consistent routine of doing something, you'll (most likely) start settling in on what you enjoy and setting fitness goals that will start putting you in a more consistent routine. But at that point you will be making progress on your goals and something that felt like a grind and got boring in the beginning becomes a super fun process.
  • Have an old faithful - Always have a simple workout plan that will get you through the tough, unmotivated days. NF always talks about the "pressure gauge" system. Define what a workout on a "red day" means and try your hardest to stick with that. Maybe it's a simple bodyweight circuit. Maybe it is a 5 minute walk. Maybe it is getting up out of bed and doing a single doorway stretch. Just something that will move your body. (and may lead to more movement once you complete)

Ranger - Rheno - Rising Hero

Welcome back! 

I don't have any new advice that's better than what has already been said but I just wanted to say you got this and I'm rooting for you! You've been through a hell of a lot of stuff but you're still choosing to stand up and fight which is super admirable! 

Good luck with the journey ahead!