Forums are back in action! ×

What time is it?

Hi everyone, another newbie here. I’ve been reading the NF blog for a few months and decided to sign up for the forum a few days ago, and I’m excited to jump into all of this.

I’m a 29 year-old guy. I’ve always been skinny, but never very strong and my endurance is nothing to get excited about. Every now and then I’ll come across an article about “essential physical skills you need in order to not die in [insert dire situation]†and I always come up lacking. In most of these scenarios I would end up eaten by bears/zombies and/or fall in the lava pit. Clearly this would be an unacceptable outcome.

Basically I want to be able to run faster and farther and get functionally stronger. I’ve got an ipod touch with the nike+ sensor, which is a good way to make running as nerdy as possible. I’m working towards being able to run 5 km in 20 minutes (right now I’m at about 28 minutes). I like bodyweight exercises and I’m working my way through the Convict Conditioning exercises. I’m currently at step 2 or 3 on the squat, pullup, pushup and leg raise series. The plan is to be doing one-armed pullups and the other fantastic stuff in a year or so.

I feel like I have a pretty solid workout plan, I just need to be consistent — usually I only end up sticking to the script about 30% of the time. The idea is bodyweight work three times a week, running twice a week, and a nice long bike ride on Sunday. The path is there, I just need to keep moving along it every day, instead of once or twice a week.

In terms of food, I’ve been eating a vegan/plant-based diet for the last year or so, it seems to be going fine — I’ve had none of the big changes people promise/threaten will come with cutting out animal products. I could probably do with more fruit, but who couldn’t?

So… that’s it for now I think. Looking forward to being a part of the NF community!

Another newbie here, but I have to comment on Nike+. I got a nano in March and have been loving the pedometer!

"The Force give me the patience to hold my tongue when I can't change something, the courage to kick @$$ when I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. "

PR: 10k 1:54:00; 5k 0:54:34; 1m 16:20; Chinup 51%

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Amazon Adventurer

STR: 2 ¦ DEX: 4 ¦ STA: 1 ¦ CON: 1 ¦ WIS: 6 ¦ CHA: 3

Same Shirt, Different Day

Good to hear from you guys — I've been dealing with a nasty cold all week so I haven't been getting much exercise done. I blame the air conditioning that has suddenly been turned on way too high wherever I go. Oh well, I'm feeling better now and hopefully next week will be more productive.

Serenity - are you just using the pedometer or do you have the sensor that goes in/on your shoe as well?

And another newbie here!

I've got a nano too, love the pedometer for just walking around. There's also a few good podcasts like the NHS couch to 5K, which has built up a bit of my running stamina.

There's an app on iPhone too, which is the Nike Training Club (NTC). Best free app ever invented! Has a whole bunch of different training programs and guides you through all the timed exercises.

The grass may be greener on the other side, but it's just as hard to mow

Archived