Forums are back in action! ×

SOUND OFF

Evicious

I'd like to start a soldier's thread, for the camraderie, for the commiserating, and for the comparison of fitness regimes (PT or personal). I know I've seen a few on this site already: let's form it up and take accountability, shall we? Doesn't matter if you're active, out, retired, what-have-you: if you signed and served, you're a soldier.

Army (BUCK!) SGT here, currently at Ft Polk, LA. Served 1 year in Korea (SOJU!!!!), 1 year in AFG; came back to this sh*thole last November and am seriously considering getting out before the whole military COC implodes. Am still not accustomed to the "new and improved" PRT crap, and therefore spend a good amount of my off hours supplementing it in the gym (yes, you read that right: a FEMALE soldier who actually knows where the gym is, as well as what to do in it!)

Now, SOUND OFF!

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

*busts in the door*

Any room for a Jarhead here?

Spent 8 yrs active duty. First 4 I crawled around in the mud and fired mortars at stuff far away. The last 4 I spent humping the flightlines turning wrenches on CH-53E's. I got out in 1999 as a SGT (E-5)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3546[/ATTACH]

Semper Fidelis

post-6203-1356724393348_thumb.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]“Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Loseâ€

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - Albert Einstein

-------------------------

DailyBurn | Fitocracy | Twitter

Air Force checking in. 1st LT SusieBlu ready to represent (and take the ever present jab at the rank). Currently at Seymour Johnson AFB, NC. Soon to be at Geilenkirchen AB, Germany.

Jerameib- Isn't a SGT an E-5 in the MC?

Try everything once. If it kills you don't do it again.Paleo- So Easy A Caveman Can Do It

6-Year Army veteran, got out, got a bachelor's degree by playing outside a lot, am currently waiting for orders to Air Force OTS.

"Inside of me there are two dogs. One of the dogs is mean and evil. The other dog is good. The mean dog fights the good dog, all of the time."  When asked which dog wins, he reflected for a moment and replied "The one I feed the most."

Driftwood's Battle Log

First Challenge:  24 Feb - 6 April 2014

Second Challenge (Monks) :  14 April - 25 May 2014

6-Year Army veteran, got out, got a bachelor's degree by playing outside a lot, am currently waiting for orders to Air Force OTS.

Congrats. Have fun in Alabama. I know I did.

Try everything once. If it kills you don't do it again.Paleo- So Easy A Caveman Can Do It

Alright, so we've got a Jarhead, some Chairforce, couple of ACUs like myself, and one saucy sailor! Good show, people!

So let's talk military fitness. How do you keep in shape? Do you rely on the military to keep you looking good?

Keep up the momentum!

I'm considering joining the Army Reserve here in Australia, any tips?

I can only tell you what I know about the Australian Army from the soldiers I met over in AFG... I hear that the training you guys undergo for Basic is pretty tough compared to American standards, but that the units tend to be more relaxed than ours. From what I've seen the relaxed part seems to be quite true - the guys stationed at Bamyan, for instance, spent a good amount of time sunbathing on top of their connexes. Oh yeah, and you guys are allowed to drink a minimal amount while deployed, too.... lucky bastards... X-D

Keep up the momentum!

I can only tell you what I know about the Australian Army from the soldiers I met over in AFG... I hear that the training you guys undergo for Basic is pretty tough compared to American standards, but that the units tend to be more relaxed than ours. From what I've seen the relaxed part seems to be quite true - the guys stationed at Bamyan, for instance, spent a good amount of time sunbathing on top of their connexes. Oh yeah, and you guys are allowed to drink a minimal amount while deployed, too.... lucky bastards... X-D

I've heard it's tough, makes me all the more keen. Just need to get my motivation back!

My mate is currently at the basic training, once he is finished I'll bombard him with questions.

Also, question to you:

What is one thing you wish you had done before joining?

Gonna try to prepare myself as best I can, physically and mentally.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yanz - Elf Assassin

STR 2 | DEX 3 | STA 4 | CON 2 | WIS 4 (+1) | CHA 1

Do or do not, there is no try.

Forum Intro |

In school we had (past tense because I graduated yesterday!) division/department PT 3 days a week. It was not enough to make great improvements on my PRT scores, so I run and do bodyweight workouts in addition to the mandatory PT.

My personal goals (get big and strong!) aren't completely in line with the PRT goals (running, running, and more running) so I'm trying to find a balance there. I want to get big and strong, but also fast and lean, and continue to perform at the top of my age group.

In school we had (past tense because I graduated yesterday!) division/department PT 3 days a week. It was not enough to make great improvements on my PRT scores, so I run and do bodyweight workouts in addition to the mandatory PT.

My personal goals (get big and strong!) aren't completely in line with the PRT goals (running, running, and more running) so I'm trying to find a balance there. I want to get big and strong, but also fast and lean, and continue to perform at the top of my age group.

I don't know about being big, but if you want to be strong fast and lean parkour/gymnastic like activities tend to help with that.

I've heard it's tough, makes me all the more keen. Just need to get my motivation back!

My mate is currently at the basic training, once he is finished I'll bombard him with questions.

Also, question to you:

What is one thing you wish you had done before joining?

Gonna try to prepare myself as best I can, physically and mentally.

One thing I wish I'd done before joining... hmm... Be stronger before I joined. The first day of Basic was spent holding our duffle bags above our heads: reeeaally wish I'd done more strength training prior to that! Of course, Basic is more about the mental toughness than anything else. The whole point is to make you realize how much you're capable of doing when you think you're dying. :-P

I'd strongly recommend working on your endurance for all the bodyweight exercises you'll be doing (push-ups - do them close hand! - sit-ups, etc.) Oh, and RUCK YOUR ASS OFF! You'll need to be able to carry (running and walking) a minimum of 85 Lbs. Load up a backpack and start with at least 3 miles, and continue to work up from there. Current standard for my BDE's weekly ruck march is 5 miles in 57 minutes. Rucking isn't just going for a fast walk with some weight on your back; you really have to keep a certain form in order to move quickly enough to make time and not hurt yourself in the process. Definitely practice rucking!

Keep up the momentum!

You're definitely on the right track. Keep doing what you're doing and you'll get exactly where you're going!

Keep up the momentum!

One thing I wish I'd done before joining... hmm... Be stronger before I joined. The first day of Basic was spent holding our duffle bags above our heads: reeeaally wish I'd done more strength training prior to that! Of course, Basic is more about the mental toughness than anything else. The whole point is to make you realize how much you're capable of doing when you think you're dying. :-P

I'd strongly recommend working on your endurance for all the bodyweight exercises you'll be doing (push-ups - do them close hand! - sit-ups, etc.) Oh, and RUCK YOUR ASS OFF! You'll need to be able to carry (running and walking) a minimum of 85 Lbs. Load up a backpack and start with at least 3 miles, and continue to work up from there. Current standard for my BDE's weekly ruck march is 5 miles in 57 minutes. Rucking isn't just going for a fast walk with some weight on your back; you really have to keep a certain form in order to move quickly enough to make time and not hurt yourself in the process. Definitely practice rucking!

Thank you for the advice, I'll start doing more strength and endurance training.. This is where onehundredpushups will come in handy :D

I appreciate the reply and advice, time to get motivated :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yanz - Elf Assassin

STR 2 | DEX 3 | STA 4 | CON 2 | WIS 4 (+1) | CHA 1

Do or do not, there is no try.

Forum Intro |

A lot of basic training is mental. If you are in physically good shape before going it allows you to focus more on the mental both versus trying to survive the physical training and the mental games that will be thrown your way.

As for staying in shape and meeting PT while active doing I do better working out side of formation PT. I find crossfit makes the PFTs easy. The way the Air Force has the scoring set up the run is 60% of the overall score. If you run well you will get a good score. I don't like running or do I run well so it is a goal of mine to decrease my run time by my next test.

Thank you for the advice, I'll start doing more strength and endurance training.. This is where onehundredpushups will come in handy :D

I appreciate the reply and advice, time to get motivated :D

You go, Yanz-ers! Or as we say in the U.S. "Git ya sum!" :D

Keep up the momentum!

A lot of basic training is mental. If you are in physically good shape before going it allows you to focus more on the mental both versus trying to survive the physical training and the mental games that will be thrown your way.

As for staying in shape and meeting PT while active doing I do better working out side of formation PT. I find crossfit makes the PFTs easy. The way the Air Force has the scoring set up the run is 60% of the overall score. If you run well you will get a good score. I don't like running or do I run well so it is a goal of mine to decrease my run time by my next test.

60%, huh? Well, that would make my life a helluva lot easier - I love running! Unfortunately, my company puts more emphasis on... hm... actually, now that I think about it, it doesn't seem like they've put any emphasis on any part of the new PRT as far as fitness goes: they're mostly concerned with whether or not the exercises are being done in the specified order and cadences. I swear, we spend more time standing at attention and the "starting position" for each exercise, yelling out the appropriate responses, than we do actually performing any of the activities.

Which is precisely why I do my own thing at the gym during lunch, or after work. X-D I've been thinking about trying to hit up a X Fit class, but the only time they're available is from 0515-0615; seeing as I already have to wake up at 0500 to make it to PT on time (0630), I'm really not enthusiastic about getting up any earlier! But I get a phenomenal workout from Ross Enamait's Infinite Intensity book anyway. His whole premise is pretty much in-line with NF's logic, except his focus is geared more towards fighters than nerds (can't blame him, since he's a boxing coach in RL) :P

Keep up the momentum!

actually, now that I think about it, it doesn't seem like they've put any emphasis on any part of the new PRT as far as fitness goes: they're mostly concerned with whether or not the exercises are being done in the specified order and cadences. I swear, we spend more time standing at attention and the "starting position" for each exercise, yelling out the appropriate responses, than we do actually performing any of the activities.

It seems like group PT is more an exercise in teamwork than it is actually exercise.

One of the Navy's newest sailors here.

I'm graduating A school this week and finally heading out to my first permanent duty station, sunny San Diego.

Congrats Kristen. my hubs is Navy, been in 20yrs so far and is stationed in San Diego.

1 Rep Max Deadlift-180lbs

1 Rep Max Clean and Jerk-90lbs

1 Rep Max Push Press-70lbs

1 Rep Max Back Squat-135lbs

1 Rep Strict Press-65lbs

Fitocracy

2 weeks till Hawaii

Archived