Forums are back in action! ×

Howdy! I've been poking around Nerd Fitness for about a week and decided to try the community on for size. I've been over at SparkPeople since I re-started my fitness goals last January but have had trouble finding people who are both geeky and pursuing fitness. There just aren't that many places where you can talk about how running around Skyrim inspired you to go to the gym!

The low point that sparked the renewal was having a terrible time at the Walt Disney Marathon in Florida last January. I wasn't in the race, though I meant to be -- 12 months before. All the reasons I wasn't training seemed perfectly reasonable at the time: unemployed, moving, working, unemployed again, broke, starting a new job, working the night shift -- but being at the race and watching my friends finish without me was terrible.

And then as they continued to enjoy Walt Disney World throughout the day, while I tried to hide how much my feet hurt by opting for rides with tiny lines and lots of sitting -- I felt more and more ashamed.

I downloaded John Bingham's "Accidental Athlete" to my kindle at the hotel and read it on the trip home. I made a plan and started working out. But I'm glad to find Steve's work because the ongoing support and progressive goal setting makes a lot of sense to me.

Looking forward to getting to know you all better!

"The Force give me the patience to hold my tongue when I can't change something, the courage to kick @$$ when I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. "

PR: 10k 1:54:00; 5k 0:54:34; 1m 16:20; Chinup 51%

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Amazon Adventurer

STR: 2 ¦ DEX: 4 ¦ STA: 1 ¦ CON: 1 ¦ WIS: 6 ¦ CHA: 3

Same Shirt, Different Day

Welcome to the Rebellion! Here we can help you with anything you might need from advice to motivation, just don't hesitate to ask. I also haven't heard about a Disney Race, and I know a guy who works at Disneyland, oh well. See you around!

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Yeah, they have several races at both parks throughout the year: http://espnwwos.disney.go.com/sports/rundisney/

So what's the deal with the character icons and stats in people's signatures?

"The Force give me the patience to hold my tongue when I can't change something, the courage to kick @$$ when I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. "

PR: 10k 1:54:00; 5k 0:54:34; 1m 16:20; Chinup 51%

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Amazon Adventurer

STR: 2 ¦ DEX: 4 ¦ STA: 1 ¦ CON: 1 ¦ WIS: 6 ¦ CHA: 3

Same Shirt, Different Day

Hi!

I'm also new, but I'm finding everyone to be very welcoming and inspiring. You'll find lots of support here.

The little icons and stats relate to a 6 week challenge that's wrapping up. I also joined the message boards too late to participate, but I hope they'll host another soon.

I love John Bingham's work. He makes running so accessible and feasible. When I first started running, I plotted a route through a cemetery because I was so embarassed to be seen (it was actually really pretty, lotsa trees and such).

Best of luck! Let us konw if you have any questions.

SD

It never gets easier, you just get better.

Blog -- 1st Challenge! -- Log -- Pinterest -- Goodreads

Archived