Forums are back in action! ×

Started a month ago.... advice?

Hello, this is my first post on NerdFitness.

To start, I'm 18, finishing high school this year and have been using the Rebel Strength Guide for a month now. Since the end of April I've been trying to eat Paleo, although for about two meals a week I'll break it when I go out for lunch or dinner, and sometimes its hard to eat strictly Paleo because my mother cooks my food. But I'm trying, and I'd say I've been eating a good 75% Paleo for the past month.

I started at 6'0" 193 lbs, now I'm sitting around 186 lbs. I've been using Barbell Battalion, rank 1-A and have seen some growth in my squats. Push press and deadlift I was new to when i began the program, so those I've seen growths, but mostly because I was originally just trying to improve my form. It seems like I've been getting worse at pull ups than when I started out :S On the other hand, however I am able to jump higher than I could before I started the Rebel program, on my basketball net at home i can now dunk with two hands- I couldn't before.

I've been trying to lose weight + gain muscle, but I can't really notice that much of a positive change. My pecs and arms feel weaker, the only thing that I really notice getting stronger is my hamstrings, they seem more lean too.

I've been tracking my diet on dailyburn as well, I try to have my calorie count around 1500-2000. Is this a good amount for someone trying to lose weight and gain muscle? My carbs usually end up being around 80-120 grams a day and my protein count can be anywhere from 100-180 a day.

Often I eat a lot of fruit, to me its the easiest Paleo snack, but is there too much sugar? On a common day I'll eat 2 apples a day, a cup of berries and a banana. Overkill?

Please someone tell me if you think my progress is realistic, or what I can do to improve. It feels to me like I should have seen a bigger improvement, I really don't want to quit, but right now it seems like I'm heading to a dead end!

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate anything anyone can contribute! Sorry for the long post!

Are you maybe over training? From past weight loss endeavours (when I didnt know better) I would get spaghetti weak trying to do everything at once. I came to learn that you must set your mind to a singular goal and go after it when it comes to training. As far as weightloss and strength training goes, many of the guys here will tell you that when you have your diet down your body will go to its ideal weight. I have been doing this paleo and strength thing for a week know and have already lost 2.8kg despite my diet needing some work. And i feel better than ever already. Hope this helps a tad.

I really don't think I'm over training. Not getting exhausted after my workouts, and before I started I was around the same pace. Not really feeling signs of over training.

The paleo diet hasn't made me feel a lot better, like you said.I'm actually getting quite tired lately. Could that be because of paleo, or do i need to increase my calorie/carb intake?

I am far from super knowledgeable on the topic but I experienced a similar fatigue early on as well. For me, it was that I wasn't eating enough veggies to get the good carbs I needed. Now I down spinach and broccoli like its goin out of style. Maybe that could be whats up with your fatigue? Hang with it bro, its difficult at first but you will be so proud of your accomplishments as you go along. Congratulations on your work!!!

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. -Dalai Lama

I eat primal, have been for two+ years now, and recently have really upped my work outs. I can say that even from the beginning, and even now, I do not feel weak, nor do I feel like I am getting weaker.

Make sure you are eating enough protein and fats in your diet....those are what will fuel you in paleo. Do not do any type of calorie restriction, especially if you are eating full paleo, and are exercising regularly.

Archived