Forums are back in action! ×

Newbie! Newbie! Newbie! One that loves carbs too... :(

Hello all!

I am Hannah... I didn't make up a cool name like a lot of people because I like to keep things boring... :/

Anyways, I first found NF while looking up Paleo Diet. I got interested in that diet because I really really really want nice six-packs.

But I decided to not follow the Paleo diet because i cannot give up rice and certain other stuff. Like dairy. So... no paleo for me....

I hope I still can get six-packs.. if it's definitely impossible to get six-packs with eating rice and all-kinds of grains, please let me know :/

Currently I am 5'2" 114 pounds with 22% body fat. So here's my story...

-- After I came to college two years ago, I started eating uncontrollably: lots of lots of desserts with very sedentary lifestyle.

The school cafeteria doesn't help when they have so many tasty dessert just laid in front of my eyes! D:

-- I definitely did go there: the freshmen 15+. At heaviest, I was 130 lbs. Before college I was 108-110.

-- I decided 130 was not good and started eating better near the end of last year. I also started running once in a while, but very rarely.

-- Even though I am only 4 lbs heavier than what I use to be before college, my cloths fit a bit tightly around my waist... My waist grew and it stayed there even though I lost weight. I use to wear Small size but now I wear Medium size shirt to hide my belly fat.

--I have 7 pairs of jeans that completely cut out blood circulation when I force it in. My leg started cramping so I decided not to wear them at all.. All I have is 3 pairs and they are stretchy. The reason why they still fit.

I got into running a lot more because I recently ran my first 5k race and the feeling I got when I finished was AMAZING.

I'm not sure what it is... feeling of accomplishment, or what.. I feel like it's something a lot bigger than that.

I definitely was slower than most but I still felt good. :victorious:

My short term goal is to run half marathon this december on the Las Vegas Strip. I am also running 10k upcoming June 2nd.

I am definitely running regularly. Cardio is no problem for me. Strength training is. I have NEVER EVER done a strength training and I really don't know where to start. So I devised a strength training schedule with Steve's Angry Bird workouts. I think pull ups will be the most difficult one out of four :( I'm scared already.

As a child I always admired six-packs because I use to be skinny sickly looking kid. Now I admire six-packs because they are SUPER SEXY. It shows that the person worked very hard to get those sexy babies. It shows endurance, persistence, and determination. and I want them too. So wish me luck as I start my journey to getting six-packs over two years! (Because I'm not giving up rice, nope.)

Thanks for reading my long post if you did read it all! You're an awesome caring person :)

I know what you mean about the race ending. Yeah cardio is no problem for me either, but it's not going to shift belly fat as well as strength workouts and clean diet will. I do a lot of cardio and my body clings to fat like there's no tomorrow. It also makes me crave carbs. Not ideal.

Rice won't stop you losing weight unless you eat a lot of it, but I'd definitely say cut out all other grains and sugar. That would probably give you the kick start you need to start losing weight, just make sure you eat enough so that you can work out and run well! Protein, veg and fruit! Good luck with the abs.

| STR 15 | DEX 14 | STA 14 | CON 10.5 | WIS 11 | CHA 7 | Level 5

Ocelot's Dossier - Battle Log | Springing into my Sixth Challenge!

Thanks for reading my long post if you did read it all! You're an awesome caring person :)

I'm really not :)

Good luck with all that I believe it will be more difficult to get down to the low BF%age required for a six pack while not on paleo but it's clearly possible. Pull ups are definitely scary. They are also awesome. Now I can do five in a set I make a point of going to the park to do them :). Good luck with the 10k.

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

@ocelot Hmmm-- thanks for your advice! I will definitely cut out bread and other unnecessary grain and sugar while I am trying to get the abs.. It's only been 4 days so hopefully I will see some results as I progress :) Good luck with your workouts as well! :)

@maledictus I can barely carry 10 lbs with both my arms.. I'm not sure how I'm going to pull 114 lbs up! But i definitely can't wait until I can do one. :D

Hi Hannah!

Welcome to NF. I'm also new here, but I've found folks here to be really nice.

I ran my first race last year (a half-marathon) and totally had that same feeling. After years of hating my body, I loved it for the first time. I felt so strong and unstoppable and proud of myself. I still run for the self-esteem boost.

Strength training is a huge goal of mine. I'm currently doing a modified version of NF's beginner body weight circuit. I like it a lot, but can't do chinups either. Not yet, but soon!

Best,

SD

ps - I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but are you Asian? I ask because you're 5'2" and you mention rice and your last name is "Park." If so, that's AWESOME. I'm often the only Asian gal in the gym and I'm always the only Asian gal in the weight room. We tiny girls got each other's back!

It never gets easier, you just get better.

Blog -- 1st Challenge! -- Log -- Pinterest -- Goodreads

Hi, Hannah! Welcome ^^ I'm a newbie too and I wish you luck on your fitness journey. I'm also a bit afraid of doing pull ups. I was able to do it a few times at a time, but I can't do any right now, due to me not keeping up with my work outs and good eating habits. It is so worth it and rewarding, though, training your body to be able to do pull ups. I think Steve mentioned in one of his blog articles that if a person can do 5-10 pullups, then it is a good indicator that he/she is in very good shape. ^^

Name: Usagi

Class: Assassin Monk

STRENGTH - 4 DEXTERITY - 2 STAMINA - 3 CONSTITUTION - 1 WISDOM - 2 CHARISMA - 3

Challenge for May 25- June 1

+1 Con: Do not secretly eat non-paleo foods for 1 week

+1 Sta: 20 Push ups, 48 dead lifts with back rows (medium weights), mountain climbers (200)

ps - I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but are you Asian? I ask because you're 5'2" and you mention rice and your last name is "Park." If so, that's AWESOME. I'm often the only Asian gal in the gym and I'm always the only Asian gal in the weight room. We tiny girls got each other's back!

Hello SD!

Yes, I'm Korean! :D And I totally know how you feel at the gym. :/ That's why I try to go with some of my guy friends-- they help me feel tiny bit less awkward :P

Archived