Forums are back in action! ×

Please double check my math. Body Fat % content

Bunk

Please help me figure this out.

On 1/3/12 I weighted 236 lbs w/ 28% BF or 66lbs of total fat.

On 5/23/12 I weighed 211 lbs w/ 19% BF or 40bs of total fat.

The 25 lbs of fat lost makes sense and seems accurate (lost 6.75 inches off my waistline as well). But I have only lost 25 lbs total in that time frame. I can't possibly be that efficient that I am ONLY losing fat. I did start my weight loss on 12/12/11 @ 247 lbs, so it's possible I lost all the water weight I was going to lose before I purchased the calipers, but I still can't see myself being THAT efficient. I've also been lifting heavy the entire time (3 months of SS, followed by 531), and I have definitely added muscle as well. So what gives? Is there some obvious variable I am missing here? Did I screw up the math somewhere? Thanks!

Muscle loss is general not a problem when dieting down to a normal weight level. If you are exercising as well, you may be breaking down supportive tissue for your fat (tendons, ligaments, and artery paths all hypertrophy to some extent to support excess body fat) and replacing it with actual muscle as well.

Seems like you've achieved a great amount of progress to me. Stop looking for the hidden negatives and enjoy the new you :)

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Thanks for the input and congrats. I'm definitely happy with my results! It's nice to be able to take my shirt off and feel good about it. Didn't mean to sound so negative. I probably wasn't clear enough in the original post. What I am most confused about is how can my total fat loss equal my total pounds lost when I know I have added muscle mass as well in the same time period? Shouldn't my total fat loss be greater than total pounds lost to account for muscle gained?

To be fair, the actual amount of muscle mass gained is probably much smaller than you think. You gained strength mostly through becoming neurogically proficient at performing the movements; you simply can't build *that* much muscle mass while shedding fat.

Like I mentioned earlier, lean mass was probably also lost through the process, because your body sheds a bunch of no-longer necessary machinery designed to support excess body fat. So shedding some of that can easily mask muscle gain.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

What aj_rock said...

In the last 6 months I have been lifting in the 1-3 work set range with 1-6 reps(low volume) and even with eating more than I'm used to and pretty much ditching running I only gained 5 lb.

With those 5 lbs my squat increased about 40 lbs and my deadlift was + 50 lbs.

Size and strength are not as closely related as mainstream fitness thinks

I just did a search for usa powerlifting, with a little poking around I found the

raw 114lb weight class reccord: over360lb squat!

To find piece with myself
I must first find a piece of myself

Archived