Forums are back in action! ×

New to this whole "fitness" thing

My history (briefly):

As a kid (6-13) I played soccer. I could eat whatever I wanted and it didn't matter.

As a high school student, I was a huge (non-active) nerd (yay!)and I still ate whatever I wanted (boo!), which meant I gained weight (Heaviest: 205 lbs).

In college I did the "Freshman -25" and actually reached a reasonable weight (180 lbs) for my height (5'11").

After college I worked a series of service jobs and was on my feet sometimes 10 hours a day. Once again I could eat what I wanted and I hit my lowest weight (157 lbs).

A little over a year ago, I started an office job. I knew the hazards, so cut back on what I ate, but it's not enough. Now I'm here, trying to actually get in shape on purpose for the first time in my life.

My stats: 5'11", 172 lbs., 26.4% body fat (although this is from my scale, so I don't know how accurate it is).

My goal: Between 155 and 170 lbs (I'm not sure how much I'll gain in muscle weight as I lose fat) at <20% body fat by August 4th, 2012.

My biggest hurdle will be getting out of my head (I tend to over-thinking things) and just doing something each day.

I have a bunch of questions and am always looking for tips and strategies. Mostly I've just heard that you guys are super supportive, and know that that will come in handy as I take this journey. It's hard for me to imagine the >20% body fat version of me, but I'm working on it.

---

If you want something you've never had, you must be willing to do something you've never done. ~Thomas Jefferson

My biggest hurdle will be getting out of my head (I tend to over-thinking things) and just doing something each day.

That's the key though: Just do something every day. Take a walk, do twenty jumping jacks, join a challenge here, start your own, join a club (gym, karate, parkour, swimming, etc.). Figure out what you love to do and then get out there and DO IT!

And welcome. Glad to have you here. :D

The old believe everything; the middle aged suspect everything: the young know everything.

~Oscar Wilde

My history (briefly):

As a kid (6-13) I played soccer. I could eat whatever I wanted and it didn't matter.

As a high school student, I was a huge (non-active) nerd (yay!)and I still ate whatever I wanted (boo!), which meant I gained weight (Heaviest: 205 lbs).

In college I did the "Freshman -25" and actually reached a reasonable weight (180 lbs) for my height (5'11").

Welcome!!!! OMG....I feel like we're both peas in the same pod!!! I know exactly how you feel, I went on the same roller coaster ride (playing soccer in school & eating whatever I wanted to gaining a bunch of weight after stopping soccer; losing weight in college only to gain it all back plus some, etc.) Please ask questions, let me know how I can help.

I think my first piece of advice for you is get your exercise out the way first thing in the morning. Whatever you wanna do, whether it's a run, a walk, or lifting weights, get it out of the way before work, then you don't have to worry about it or risk over-thinking yourself out of it over the course of the workday.

I think I might have to work up to the "first thing in the morning" exercise plan. I know it's a good idea, but... getting up even earlier just doesn't seem doable right now.

My current plan is working pretty well. I get out of work at 5 pm, drink a protein shake just before I leaver, get on the bus and walk home (about an hour) and then immediately change and workout. The protein shake helps keep me from turning into a hunger-zombie, and when I'm done with my workout I fix dinner. I've only been doing it for a few days, but it seems sustainable. I think the "get up early" thing will be next month's hurdle.

---

If you want something you've never had, you must be willing to do something you've never done. ~Thomas Jefferson

Figure out what you love to do and then get out there and DO IT!

And welcome. Glad to have you here. :D

Thanks! :) What I love is riding my bike. What I still have to figure out is what to do when the weather's not nice enough to ride. :( Fortunately we're headed into summer, so I don't have to worry about that (too much) for another few months. :)

---

Archived