Forums are back in action! ×

Pt studying advice

I just got my ACE manual and I was wondering if any PT's out there had any advice on studying? What worked for you and what didn't? Any tips or anything like that is greatly appreciated. There is so much material to cover and I want to find a good method.

"It's always the ones that don't do anything that try to bring you down" - Henry Rollins

"There is no meantime, there is only now" - The Ditty Bops

Trail Blazing Elf Ranger Sumdawgtwigg Level 3  STR-3 DEX-4 STA-4 CON-3 WIS-5 CHA-2

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

Right now my plan is to cover a chapter every few days. Take weekends off of studying. I'll be taking notes of keywords, definitions, etc. Making sure I absorb the chapter before moving on, of course.

"It's always the ones that don't do anything that try to bring you down" - Henry Rollins

Trail Blazing Elf Ranger Sumdawgtwigg Level 3  STR-3 DEX-4 STA-4 CON-3 WIS-5 CHA-2

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

This is a ACE (american council on exercise) personal training certification course. You study the material and then you take a test and you're certified. Easier said then done, i'm quite sure, lol.

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

My friend is a physical therapist, just graduated actually. She is very passionate. Is that something you are thinking of doing? I shall seek out this matilda.

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

I did all of the above, although I'm probably not a great example. I already knew most of the stuff going into the course so I just cruise controlled my way through it and aced the exam.

A couple things you CAN note though:

- you will not be asked to memorize the names of all bones and muscles n what not. Just know the major muscle groups and where they are

- I'm sure a lot of people could actually pass with a little bit of knowledge and a lot of common sense.

- Some of the material does get REALLY dull, REALLY fast. Fight the impulse to skim though; at least read the chapters and know the terminology.

- take practice tests/questions until you are comfortable

- like every other test you've taken in your life

Good luck, dawg!

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

I did all of the above, although I'm probably not a great example. I already knew most of the stuff going into the course so I just cruise controlled my way through it and aced the exam.

A couple things you CAN note though:

- you will not be asked to memorize the names of all bones and muscles n what not. Just know the major muscle groups and where they are

- I'm sure a lot of people could actually pass with a little bit of knowledge and a lot of common sense.

- Some of the material does get REALLY dull, REALLY fast. Fight the impulse to skim though; at least read the chapters and know the terminology.

- take practice tests/questions until you are comfortable

- like every other test you've taken in your life

Good luck, dawg!

Thanks for the advice AJ. I've got a little bit of medical courses under my belt already, i'm in school for nursing (slowly but surely). So, I'm hoping that will help me out a bit. I've been reading around the net a little bit and most of what i've read is really close to what you're saying.

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

Oh if you have previous medical knowledge you could probably fly through the exam just based on that. Hell, I've taken exactly two bio courses in my life and read the bodyrecomposition.com archives and probably could have passed the test :P

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Oh if you have previous medical knowledge you could probably fly through the exam just based on that. Hell, I've taken exactly two bio courses in my life and read the bodyrecomposition.com archives and probably could have passed the test :P

Not sure if I'm happy that's it's so easy or not. lol

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

The barrier to entry as a PT is astonishingly low. What can you really expect of a certification course that covers about the same amount of material as a single college or university course?

That being said, someone that gets all their income from one PT cert and nothing else won't make the same money as a sports therapist, kinesiologist, etc. You need to learn above and beyond this one course if you wanna make it a real source of income.

The barrier to entry as a PT is astonishingly low. What can you really expect of a certification course that covers about the same amount of material as a single college or university course?

That being said, someone that gets all their income from one PT cert and nothing else won't make the same money as a sports therapist, kinesiologist, etc. You need to learn above and beyond this one course if you wanna make it a real source of income.

Yeah, I see what you're saying. I'm not in any way expecting it to be a major source of income. I also plan to keep adding to my certifications and stuff all I can into this brain of mine. Thanks for all your help!

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

Archived