Forums are back in action! ×

Sciatica Help?

caponerd48

For the past few weeks I have been dealing with leg pain from what I'm told is most likely sciatica. Unfortunately, I am not getting insurance for another month and I'm hoping to avoid going to urgent care if I can. Does anyone have any home remedies/stretches/exercises that might help in the meantime? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Outlaw Monk

"We have done the impossible and that makes us mighty" - Cpt. Malcolm Reynolds (Firefly)

My Mighty Quest!

STR 9.1 - DEX 9.6 - STA 5.6 - CON 7 - WIS 12 -CHA 8

It probably depends on what kind of sciatica, but I do piriformis stretches. (You can get other exercises by googling piriformis with exercise or stretching or sciatica.) I also do posterior chain stretches which have a fair amount of overlap with the sciatica stretches.

Hey, quark is right about piriformis and the other area to work on is foam rolling the IT band. Make sure you are well warmed up before working out and after you work out make sure you do a bunch of stretches that address adduction and abduction of the hip rotator-if you are not doing any exercises for external rotation then you have to add those in because most of the issues with the sciatic area has to do with atrophy of the rotators and tightness of the piriformis and IT band. I know, I have dealt with this for years after stopping doing ballet. Swan stretch in yoga is a very good one for this area as is bound angle pose and pretzel...after working out icing the entire lower back and butt is a good thing. Best of luck.

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!

I also suffered from this along with tremendous back pain. Two back injuries before I was 23. If available find a chiropractor with reasonable rates. Mine had an initial cost of 70, but all following visits were 20, the same as a co-pay for me. I don't go anymore, but it helped sort me out after I was really messed up. For back/leg pain now I do a lot of stretches and once I was able to I worked on strengthening my body more. MobilityWOD is a website worth checking out. I stretch about 3 times a day whether I'm in pain or not. Make it a habit. Also drinking more water and taking fish oil wouldn't be amiss.

I hope you're able to be rid of the pain, I know it's horrible. Hang in there.

I'm a massage therapist and I tell all my clients to get a tennis ball and do self massage with it (especially on the piriformis for sciatica clients) but really anywhere that hurts. Tennis balls are great because they're firm enough to get into the muscle, but have enough give to not hurt. It's a great tool, but certainly doesn't replace a trained therapist. Also look into massage. Find a good therapist who specializes in medical massage. Some even accept insurance! It really does work wonders.

Badwolf: Thanks for the concern. I've been doing the piriformis stretches and they have helped some, and I actually just went to the chiropractor yesterday. There was a slightly emberrassing moment where she did this technique that included kneading by butt in order to get to the nerve, which had the bizarre effect of making me laugh hysterically. Really felt good afterwards though. Overall I feel better, but I'm just really frustrated that I can't do what I used to yet. Hope it keeps improving, I'm not used to feeling enfeebled.

Valkyrie: Thanks for the advice, I'll have to try that out!

Outlaw Monk

"We have done the impossible and that makes us mighty" - Cpt. Malcolm Reynolds (Firefly)

My Mighty Quest!

STR 9.1 - DEX 9.6 - STA 5.6 - CON 7 - WIS 12 -CHA 8

Hey All,

Not sure if anyone is still following this thread, but I have a situation similar to caponerd's. Capo, how'd your pain progress? I'm contemplating going to a RMT cause stretching only offers temporary relief.

Definitely gonna try out that tennis ball massage technique! Thanks for the tip, Valkyrie!

What you do, and what you don't do, matters.

Archived