Forums are back in action! ×

Robb Wolf on CrossFit

ETFnerd

I think a portion of the criticism may be valid - but keep in mind that this is something that's very much case-by-case(which he seems to make pretty clear in the criticism) - some facilities are great and offer a reasonable approach to progression and training, while others may really push into the realm of overtraining and/or not really individualize things based on varying levels of fitness.

Of course, this applies to any kind of physical training really - a good coach/teacher will adapt training programs to the abilities and limitations of coachees/students, and there are many great coaches, but also some not-so-great ones.

Take-away message isn't so much about avoiding crossfit, as much as making sure you're working with a good coach, who understands the need for individualized programs, and training in a manner that avoids injury/overtraining.

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

He makes some interesting points such as the progressions vs scaling question. I've often wondered this myself.

All of the crossfit boxes I've seen have offered an on ramp program of some description so I thing the bulk if his critique may apply more to specific boxes and less to crossfit as a whole though.

Thanks for sharing!

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander (ret.)

To also be fair, this isn't everything he's said about CrossFit. I'm a regular listener to his podcast. He doesn't actually hate CrossFit and a lot of people have been taking that video out of context.

It's no surprise he said these thing since he was deaffiliated... but I wanted to speak to the other side of the story. Him and Greg do have problems with CrossFit but they often help and support their listeners who do it.

Also, everything he said in this video (podcast) doesn't apply to every CrossFit gym everywhere. Sure, he does bring up valid points but a lot of them are problems with many gyms and not just CrossFit. I wish I could posts parts of his podcast other places so we could hear the rest of the story, but unfortunately this is all anyone has put into YouTube (and again, always the one taken out of context).

Which says to me that head-office isn't doing their training and communication right. Xfit's head-office is usually where my problems are, as the owner/most higher ups tend to have their heads up their own collective asses.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

To be honest, I think the official programming of the CrossFit HQ is, as I can't really find any other word for it, pants-on-head retarded. The WODs do not follow any schedule, there are no goals. Best way to get stuck at just-out-of-noobgains-level forever. Therefore, your box can and should really have dedicated programming. Or you should do it yourself. You can do the WODs if you like, but it isn't going to prepare you well, since you'll always be limited by your technique in the movements as you practice them in conditions of high fatigue and in an unstructured manner.

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

Archived