Forums are back in action! ×

Back pain from standing; response needed soon.

The Curse

I just started my new job last night and I realized that being on my feet for that long gives me insane back pain. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fight it? I realize that losing weight will help and I plan on doing that, but I need a quick fix because I go back in tonight. Any suggestions, or even an "I don't know, good luck." would be greatly appreciated here. Thanks.

The Curse

Dwarf Adventurer

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

STR: 2 DEX: 3 STA: 2 CON: 4 WIS: 6 CHA: 2

Current Challenge - Health Log

When you stand, stand w one leg up on something, like you are at a saloon. Then switch after a while, then stand on both, etc. also, try to move around, bend, etc versus just standing in one place. I've had many standing jobs and can tell you you will get somewhat used to it but moving is better than just standing.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

For me what cline suggested was the only thing that would relieve pain. And turning my upper body to twist side to side to stretch- still painful, but felt like I was doing something!

Once I started doing planks bodyweight squats my lower back became stronger pretty quickly, I was really surprised when I stopped feeling like I needed to sit down or die.

Posture. Do a little stretch here and there. Doing a small warm up may help as well.

I used to work as a dishwasher, and it's really easy to get into horrid posture when there's nothing going on. I also had to wear crappy non-slip shoes that I got from Walmart, so I would spend a lot of my free time doing high knees or just kind of dancing around with my feet. Although, that really has nothing to do with the back problem

"You don't life for be sad, no?"

I'm too late for that shift, but...

Can you move your feet while you're working? I had a standing job, and that was the advice given to me, but it didn't work out. (I kept getting stabbed with the sharp tool I worked with, and it slowed my work down to unacceptable levels.)

Do you have high-quality footwear? That makes a HUGE difference. If it's a "sneakers" job (instead of steel-toe) you may want to look into those hideous shoes that nurses wear.

I know you just got the job, and the job market is kinda crap, but my best advice is to keep looking for a job, in case the back pain doesn't go away as you get used to the job. If you end up needing to find something else, it will be a lot easier if you are currently employed and not injured.

Good luck!

This used to be where  my weight loss progress bar was. Maybe it will be here again when I'm ready to face the scale and work on my fat problem.
 NewBattleLog              OldBattleLog (between challenges)

Spoiler

Don't let what you cannot do
interfere with what you can do.

-John Wooden

2013 Running Tally: I lost track in July, at 148.925  ((plus 0.5)) but I finished a Very Slow marathon in October. Then I mostly stopped.
2014 Running Tally: 134.1 miles plus 5k (as of 17 September) lost track again, but I know I had at least 147.2 plus 5k for 2014.
2015 Running Tally: 41.2 treadmilled miles & 251.93 real world miles

2016 Running Tally: 0

Yeah....I'm still looking (when I'm awake long enough to do so), but I just need an answer to this for the time being. One of the guys that has been there for a while said "You get used to [the pain]." which implies that it's not just me and that it isn't going to go away.

I got to wear my "sneakers" today, I wore my boots yesterday thinking that being a factory it would be required. I tried the lifting one foot thing on the rare occasion that I actually got to stand STILL. I found a wooden block and just propped it up and alternated my feet. It helped a LOT but still too much mildly agonizing pain in my back.

Thank you for everyone's responses so far, keep 'em coming, please. :D

The Curse

Dwarf Adventurer

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

STR: 2 DEX: 3 STA: 2 CON: 4 WIS: 6 CHA: 2

Current Challenge - Health Log

It is so strange to me because I actually started standing because it eased my back pain. I stand almost all day long and it is only when I SIT down that I get sciatic area pain.

could it be you are using new muscles and that once they get strong you will feel better? doing cat and dog stretch on your hands and knees after work along with wag the tail side to side can help stretch the area out-as can doing C stretch. You can also stand in horse stance from judo-feet spread slightly toes forward then contract the abs and tuck the tail bone under and fully relax the spine so it feels like it is simply hanging.

Best of luck!

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!

Hey there. I'm a nurse, so most of my day is standing behind the med cart or doing treatments, so I understand your concerns. When I started working, my back was killing me! I was taking prescription NSAIDs and after my shift a muscle relaxant to try to get to bed. I followed my doctor's advice and started doing core and back strengthening exercises, became very aware of my posture, and at work I keep my feet moving or elevate one foot (like others have mentioned). He also realigns my spine every few weeks (he's a doctor of ostepathy) I either march in place, shift my weight from leg to leg, or in between rooms for meds, squat down to the ground for a few seconds (I just have to make sure nobody is watching, LOL!) I find all of these things help. I no longer take any medications for back pain,except for that time of the month when it's horrid and I work a twelve hour shift. I would focus on good core exercises like planks, correct-form pushups (no halfassed back arched ones) standing crunches (take an exercise band or weight, hold it behind your head like a tricep extension but instead of using your arms, crunch forward like you're on the floor. works your rectus abdominis, erector spinae, all the good stuff) and then lifting a hip with it also works the transverse abdominus as well, and just engage your core whenever you walk, bend (at the knee!) or just sitting in the car or at a desk.

It was mentioned before but I'd also recommend planks. Try to do a 1+ minute plank (build up to it if u can't do it yet) every day. Once you start getting bored of them, start on side planks. Once you can do a minute on each side you should notice a big difference in your back pain from standing.

I used to work in a gas station where I had to stand all day and doing these worked a charm.

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander (ret.)

I had the same problem for awhile. obviously losing weight is gonna be the first thing on the list. I noticed a decrease in my back pain after only 8 pounds lost. are you a female? if so you might need a better bra. sports bras smoosh you way down and it wont be all that attractive, but if you're willing to look flat-chested at work it will help. I would get an actual bra-fitting, most women don't even know what their actual cup size is and are wearing the wrong bras which just makes things hurt more.

also: CORE. work the HELL out of your core. the stronger your abs are, the more they support your back, the more your back is supported, the less it hurts. planks, flutter-kicks, leg-raises, bicycles, russian twists.

and as everyone else has said but bears repeating: posture.

see a chiropractor for more personalized advice for your situation and physiology.

I just started my new job last night and I realized that being on my feet for that long gives me insane back pain. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fight it? I realize that losing weight will help and I plan on doing that, but I need a quick fix because I go back in tonight. Any suggestions, or even an "I don't know, good luck." would be greatly appreciated here. Thanks.

Could be partially because of lordosis - excess extension in your lower back. Look at yourself from the side in a mirror, does your lower back bend inward excessively? If you look like Donald Duck from the side, it might be that. This article discusses the issue somewhat. Once you become conscious of the problem you can actively push your hips forward while standing to even out your spine.

just out of curiosity what is you new job? I ask as could there be any reason to sit down or stand against the wall for the back support. the only thing I could suggest has already been mentioned on here and that is to try to stretch regulary.

on a side note and it is a bit of a pain but nearly anything can cause a person to throw out their back. I know this as a few years ago I had managed to hurt my back by lifting.........a slice of pizza (and I am not kidding unfortunatly). would deaf lift 80Kg no problem then a slice of pizza causes me injury.

Archived