Forums are back in action! ×

How to improve leg power

jenas77

I'm on a pt team and one of the excercises we compete in is the standing long jump. Right now I can get 6'8" which is good but it's one thing I need to improve in. i've been doing things like bodyweight squats. They seem to e helping alittle. Are there any other excercises that I should try that will help improve explosive leg power? Perferably bodyweight excercises because I don't really have much access to a gym.

"Sweat is just fat crying"

"Courage is endurance for one moment more"

"Forget the sky there is no limit"

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" Leo Tolstoy

Follow me https://twitter.com/J_oreo77

Instgram- j_oreo77

here's one that really helped me out

get into the lowered squat position. Now get on your toes in that position. Now take 5 little hops to the side, but on the 5th hop, plant your feet down and jump as high as you can. Try not to let yourself take too much time in the last big jump. There's also normal jumping squats, burpees, calf raises, and weighted calf raises. Hyperextensions are also wonderful, but that usually requires a specific bench/machine

Never underestimate your smaller muscles. I wouldn't be surprised if skipping rope helped with hops.

"You don't life for be sad, no?"

Without any inkling into training track and field, i'd say jump squats, box jumps (plyometric exercises), and deadlifts and something with an explosive hip movement in it.

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

power cleans would be a good start. but if you need pure bodyweight stuff, squat jumps, box jumps, pistol squats etc. if you can add extra weight while doing these (like holding a medicine ball, or a big rock) that would be good too.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AZSF - lvl 4 assassin

STR - 9 | DEX - 12 | STA - 10.5 | CON - 7 | WIS - 8.5 | CHA - 1

Hill sprints and bounding (jumping exaggerated running, the idea being to be in the air as much as possible, rejumping with each step)) are two bodyweight leg power exercises not yet mentioned.

They both have horizontal power elements. The problem with most of the exercises mentioned; squats/deads, jump squats, etc... is that there is little in the way of an explosive horizontal element (which will use your hamstrings/glutes more than you quads). Sprinting and bounding is in the horizontal plane moreso than the vertical.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Hill sprints and bounding (jumping exaggerated running, the idea being to be in the air as much as possible, rejumping with each step)) are two bodyweight leg power exercises not yet mentioned.

They both have horizontal power elements. The problem with most of the exercises mentioned; squats/deads, jump squats, etc... is that there is little in the way of an explosive horizontal element (which will use your hamstrings/glutes more than you quads). Sprinting and bounding is in the horizontal plane moreso than the vertical.

That makes sense to the logic in my head.

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

Archived