Forums are back in action! ×

5K training...and wieght training....together.

spatzcat

I do plan to do some sprints as well, I wanted to do some drills sprinting up this big grassy hill near the trails I run.

I love sprinting and will always be a sprinter at heart (the one sport in school I was actually ever any good at). Once a week I head over to the hill for some hill sprints, though I do it on a paved hill.

Tread careful with the sprints though if you are also lifting with your legs, running at sprinting intensity (esp shorter distances (<~125-150m) where you can put the pedal to the metal, and extra especially if you start in a track stance and run uphill) affects your body much more similarly to weightlifting than running, scheduling and recovery has to take this into account.

Wind sprints are a little different though, since you really don't come close to your max power output. They are to rapidly build up your wind (VO2 max?) more than anything. Full power sprinting requires recharge time between runs a la squatting.

Hill sprints and high rep bodyweight squatting has hugely impacted my ability to power up hills when distance running, which has had a big effect on the stopwatch.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

that is what I am interested in. Take last night for instance, I knew I was going to try the 20 minute stretch of running, so I avoided hills altogether. I knew if I ran up a hill, I wouldn't make it.

So, ppl in my town got to watch me run in circles in the little downtown we have. lol.

Hills are definitely going to be a challenge!

Never let your fear decide your fate.

I am doing both! I have run 5Ks before, and as others here have said, you will condition to it quickly (and I am not a good/fast runner). I am not necessarily trying to increase my weights significantly right now, but I have noticed that the running helps and I am able to lift heavier in general. I am going to take some of Spezzy's advice though and try sprints, because my issue is certainly my lungs--I suck wind after about 15 mins of running and slow way down.

Doing moderate intensity spints over and over and over will fix your wind faster than anything.

Gassers/wind sprints are a staple of most sports, especially football, they rapidly build your ability to run without getting winded. Sprint "fast enough" over and over and over, without enough time between them to catch your breath.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Archived